Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure.....

(13 Posts)

anyone got any dietary tips to get this down..

I don't smoke, drink or add salt to food...

I don't eat processed food with hidden salt...

Are there foods which can help lower bp or am i confusing with cholesterol, or is this linked.

All my research is bringing up "eat 5 a day" etc etc and i already eat around 10-15....

What else can i do?

Oh i am exercising daily too...and have lost 15 kgs....

Are there types of people who just have high bp? I don't want to end up of medication for the rest of my life.....

Elibean Thu 23-Jun-11 16:47:40

Yes, there are types of people who just have high BP, sorry....it can be genetic. I have slightly high BP, and am on the lowest possible dose of medication: I was upset when I started, but am now absolutely fine about it and far less worried about my BP, which is a bonus!
You are doing all you can...you can try eating lots of porridge (oats meant to help), and am sure you can google other lower-your-bp-diets, but at the end of the day some people are just going to have higher BP than others due to structural or genetic factors.
Well done with the exercise - and keep going!

2old2beamum Thu 23-Jun-11 17:07:32

agree with Elibean, I have had raised BP since my 20's and am on various drugs and was upset at first, and I am certain it is genetic. Have been on drugs for over 30years and have now got low BP. One thing my GP suggested was to buy my own machine as I am sure I have got "white coat syndrome"
Well done to lose so much weight.XX

Thanks ladies, i thinki justhave to try and reduce my stress levels.

I am stressed about being stressed this week.

I am eating porridge eeryday now too.

Yes i have a mache at home as i really do get white coat hypertension, if that's the correct term.

You have made the drugs sound a little less scary too, so i am not as worried for the future.

strawberryjelly Thu 23-Jun-11 20:04:22

beetroor has been proven- drink juice, eat it, or use in soup.

Also - anythiing that contains soluble fibre- all fruits and veg and oats.

Ohsadit's the only food i cannot stomach....

Does the juice taste like beet, or can it be disguised. smile..?

strawberryjelly Thu 23-Jun-11 20:11:50

don't know! sorry.

Elibean Fri 24-Jun-11 18:47:25

Ooh, I like beetroot, will try that smile

Binfull, the meds are honestly not scary. I take a small capsule every night when I get into bed (best time for me to remember), and think no more about it. BP has been rock steady 120/70 or less ever since. I have no side effects at all (unless you count slightly sore boobs, as apparently it interacts with the other medication I take - Zantac - which is for something else altogether.).

Northernlurker Fri 24-Jun-11 18:58:08

If you've made significant lifestyle changes and your BP isn't responding then tbh I would embrace medication. Untreated high BP is a risk factor for a number of conditions that really will put a big crimp in your life. Lifestyle changes can make a lot of difference but if you've done all you can with that then go for the drugs!

IncoStress Fri 24-Jun-11 19:07:58

Hello, re your high blood pressure, are you pregnant? always had high BP? just had a baby?
Reason I ask, high blood pressure in pregnant women can be an indication of a condition called pre-eclampsia which is dangerous for you and the baby if not treated.
Please also go see if you have sugar (ketons) in your urine.
I can't help with diets to lower BP, but I do know melons and celery are natural diuretics which can bring down extra fluid and if the fluid is reduce may reduce the BP.
In any case I do urge you to speak to your doctor about it.

HarrietJones Fri 24-Jun-11 20:28:25

Hi, I had a v similar thread last week. I have high BP on & off( off in pregnancy hmm). apart from I'm struggling with the exercise bit ( unable to do much due to SPD) you could be me!

I'm wanting to avoid meds as long as possible as I can't take any that are compatible with bf.

Thanks for the tips, i am monitoring my bp 3 times a day for a month and then back to the gp with the results.

No i am not pregnant.

My doctor told me that even losing another 10 kilos may not make a diff so if meds are the way then that's what i will do....bp still 158/101 today (sad) even though i am off work relaxing at home.

Elibean Fri 24-Jun-11 22:47:35

Ah Binful, really, honestly, its a nightmare monitoring BP that much and worrying about it - I'm sure it raises it still higher. Mine was a bit lower than yours (especially the bottom figure, top one sometimes higher - I was very stressed at the time) before I started meds, and frankly I am 200% less worried about it all now than I was. Your post takes me back!
Good for you for the weight loss - even if it doesn't drop your BP enough, it can only help your overall health (assuming you're not underweight, of course!).
Then if you need meds, you can just breathe a sigh of relief that you've done all you can and that, thankfully, modern medicine means that people no longer need to die early because of genetically high BP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now