Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Still feeling rough, what should I ask the GP tomorrow?

(12 Posts)
fuzzpigFriday Tue 21-Jun-11 22:03:52

Getting sick of this now sad

Been feeling off for weeks now, maybe 2 months or more, but worse in the last few weeks. Dizzy, shaky, aching all over, heart palpitations etc, just not right - that's not like me at all, I don't really get unwell other than the odd cold.

It's in waves, I have the odd good day but most are quite bad and some are terrible. Had immensely bad headaches the last couple of days (will probably go to bed now because of this; will check thread before appointment tomorrow) and painkillers aren't touching it.

So far I've had normal blood tests - full blood count all normal, thyroid and vitamin levels fine (was surprised about iron as I've been anaemic in the past but apparently it's a good level now), blood sugar fine, blood pressure good. Ears/throat etc all fine.

Had an ECG the other day but unfortunately it was when I felt fine so no palpitations to show. I'm not sure if that matters or if I should have another one. I am also having a full sight test tomorrow including field of vision etc in case that has changed (I wear glasses but my prescription has been steady for several years)

I don't know what else they can do, it all seems so vague, it's not obvious like a cough, I hate feeling like this as I worry people will think I'm a fraud sad I'm only 24 FGS I feel ancient right now.

If anyone has any bright ideas I'd be grateful, I don't like being such a hypochondriac but I am really sick of it, it is stopping me doing much at all.

fuzzpigFriday Wed 22-Jun-11 06:24:52

Anyone?

sharbie Wed 22-Jun-11 06:32:31

virus? glandular fever? sometimes they have to eliminate everything else before they decide what's wrong.good luck with the appt.

bagelmonkey Wed 22-Jun-11 07:09:22

You could ask about a 24 hour ECG monitor if you think that the palpitations are frequent enough for it to catch them

fuzzpigFriday Wed 22-Jun-11 07:32:34

I was thinking virus really, it's been going on so long though - would a virus last this long? Glands are fine so I don't think it's that (I've had problems with them before but this is different)

How do you get a 24hr ECG? Do they lend you a machine or something? I do get the palpitations most days so it could be a good idea...

Ivortheengine8 Wed 22-Jun-11 07:38:31

Possible something autoimmune?
That might explain it coming in waves etc...
It can takes years for these things to be made light of because they often have such vague symptoms.
Have you been or had trouble with pregnancies?
Any skin rashes?

TheRealMBJ Wed 22-Jun-11 07:41:51

The usual thing is to get a 48hr/72hr ECG. It is a little box that goes on your breast bone and an electrode that is placed on your chest wall near your left arm (under your boob). You take it off to shower/bath but sleep with it on. Your GP can refer you for the test or send you to a cardiologist first.

Have you had any blood tests?

noddyholder Wed 22-Jun-11 07:55:53

Have they checked your b12? Even with blood testsnsometimes it is missing. I havebbeen having blood tests for years at local hospital and it was my new gp who asked for a copy of all my blood results to be sent to him aswell as my hospital doctor. He spotted it and I have been having b12 injections for nearly 2 years now and it really has helped

fuzzpigFriday Wed 22-Jun-11 07:59:59

Both pregnancies were fine, all quite normal really. I did have a weird rash between my boobs but I figured that was a chafing issue blush otherwise nada.

Blood tests were full blood count, vit b12, thyroid function, that was a few weeks back. It was actually after the blood tests that I started feeling worse, I thought I just felt faint due to having blood taken but it's not got better. DH reckons I should ask for more tests but I have no idea what other ones there are!

noddyholder Wed 22-Jun-11 08:22:34

My blood counts were fine for years too. The levels of everything were in the normal ranges but my gp saidmit was the size of my red cells that he noticed they were very much bigger than they should be. No other doc had spotted this and I had been complaining of symptoms like yours for about 4 years I even had tests for MS.

fuzzpigFriday Wed 22-Jun-11 12:52:46

Thanks noddy that's useful to know, glad you are having good treatment now! I had the b12 test because of general tiredness/depression, it was only since then I got worse dizziness etc.

Can you tell me a bit more about the red blood cell thing please? I know I've had high levels of something to do with White cells before (mononucleosis I think?) in my teens but I don't know much about red cells apart from haemoglobin which is a good level now.

Anyway, went to the GP today and she was really nice, confirmed that the ECG was normal but because I said I'd been fine that day she's going to refer me for a 24hr trace (her suggestion, I didn't even have to ask). Also gave me some codeine for the headache which she said sounded like a migraine.

fuzzpigFriday Wed 22-Jun-11 16:21:05

Eye test was fine - prescription basically the same, no need for new specs. She said the headaches I was describing are unlikely to be vision-related. So that's another thing off the list smile

My head freaking hurts though <fume>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now