Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Seeking ... your simple tips for boosting your immune system

(9 Posts)
SittingBull Tue 21-Jun-11 06:04:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gourd Tue 21-Jun-11 09:18:41

Hand washing!!!! Like, all the time. Also refusing visitors who have a virus. But other than that, relaxation (stress lowers immunity) and EXCELLENT diet (including little or no caffeine or sugar), and a GOOD QUALITY nutritional supplement, along with an acidophillus capsule daily. A little OUTDOOR (not couped up in a gym or swimming pool full of bugs) exercise also helps, but not long distance running/cycling or other extreme endurance sports as these can weaken your immune system (exercise is another stressor). Look after your endocrine system!

nethunsreject Tue 21-Jun-11 09:22:31

handwashing, yy.

good food and excercise. make sure iron intake is high.

BUT you need to address the real issue and get some rest for yourself.

gourd Tue 21-Jun-11 09:23:07

That said, pregnancy and the daily grind of looking after a baby weakens your immunity massively. I didn't have any viruses at all for two yeas till I got pregnant (no mean feat as I work in higher education and interact with students on a daily basis), then I got 2 colds in a month in the first trimester of pregnancy! Since LO was born I have had 5 colds in 9 months, despite being on maternity leave! My LO of course has only been ill once, as she gets my antibodies in the milk!

Jammygal Tue 21-Jun-11 10:59:37

manuka honey -take it direct off a spoon (for a few weeks or so) Must have uMF as high as you can afford -ideally 18 +. think it might be on offer @ holland and barratt atm.

ppeatfruit Tue 21-Jun-11 11:30:06

Good sound sleep (but not too long). A good echinacea supplement is fab as well as kelp and not eating dairy. Whenever I have dairy I get allergy(cold fluey) symptoms.

SittingBull Sat 25-Jun-11 15:14:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ppeatfruit Mon 27-Jun-11 07:39:58

Probably best to take them 1 or 2 at a time for a week or 2 'cos they may not all suit you, then you'd know which was not right for you. Good luck smile.

hiddenhome Mon 27-Jun-11 21:51:09

Cut the sugar
Drink plenty of water
Spatone Iron
A decent quality multivitamin/mineral supplement
Manuka Honey - dessert spoonful dissolved in some hot water with lemon added

During the winter make your own elderberry drink. Elderberries have active antiviral properties and are as effective as the tamiflu, but without the side effects.

Collect the berries when ripe
Wash thoroughly
Remove from the stalks with the aid of a fork
Remove as much of the little bits of stalk as possible - It's a bit fiddly, but not too bad
Add to pan and cover with boiling water
Add any spices, honey, sugar to taste - allspice, cloves, cinammon etc.
Simmer for about 10 minutes
Sieve
When it's cooled, pour into a sterilised wine bottle - I just use sterilising fluid after washing the bottle out thoroughly
Keep refrigerated

Pour some into a mug and top up with hot water. You can add extra manuka honey and lemon if you like smile

Alternatively, if you can't be bothered to make this, just buy some Sambucol Elderberry from the health food store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now