Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Slapped cheek/fith disease and I am pregnant

(9 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:26:24

I think my daughter may have fifth disease. She has had a red rash over her cheeks for a couple of ays and her skin is rough all over. I know this will go away on it's own and is usually mild but I am 23 weeks pregnant and wondered if I need to see anyone about it?

pyjamalover Mon 20-Jun-11 22:43:42

exposure to parvovirus increases risk of miscarriage in the 1st trimester in women not previously exposed, most people have been exposed as children as it's a pretty common, mild illness. not sure risk in 2nd trimester, if it were me I'd try and discuss with GP in the morning and ask their advice.

Ivortheengine8 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:46:29

Thanks Pyjama

Chaotica Tue 21-Jun-11 11:43:51

I'd see a GP too.

This may be coincidence and I don't want to scare you. I had a similar exposure at 27w, and my midwife was fairly flippant ("well it's too late now, you've been exposed and there's nothing we can do about it"), then my pg went from fairly non-eventful to high risk from then on (problems spotted by the obstetrician, my midwife would have missed it). As I say, probably just a coincidence, so don't worry. (I almost don't want to post.) DS was fine btw.

Ivortheengine8 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:49:06

I went to the GP and he said it wa eczema!! sad blush

I am usually aware of what her eczema looks like as we have been dealing with it pretty much since birth but this didn't look the same to me. She also had a virus type thing a couple fo weeks back where she had sores come up over her arms and legs which scabbed over.

Oh well, silly me, better safe than sorry!

topsi Tue 21-Jun-11 13:33:47

my son has just had this and my sister is pregnant. she has been sent for a blood test to confirm if she has the illness as she is unwell at the moment. I believe they monitor the baby closely if you have it.

Ivortheengine8 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:57:19

So is it going around at the moment topsi?

topsi Tue 21-Jun-11 17:03:17

yes I believe so but guess it depends where you are

Ivortheengine8 Tue 21-Jun-11 17:08:54

true, Im North London here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now