Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sTOPPED SMOKING - WANNA COME TALK TO ME BEFORE I kill THE DOG?

(91 Posts)
Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 21:23:16

hiyA,

i think i am boring everyone i know on facebook - so i decided to join here instead. and bore you all silly.

i had to leave work early today as i couldnt concentrate. i had a nose bleedd this am, i can't sleep and i get headaches, my sinuses are filling up and im beginning with the coughing.

i've done this before - quit, i know i need to get past the three week mark and then hopefully it will al be ok. i started a new job two months ago and i haven't got smoking friends or triggers embedded so much - coming home in the car is difficult.

i wokred through dinner today - then left at 3pm as i couldn't stick it any longer. dinner will also be hard. - li'm planning to go to supermarket and buy myself things :D

but i really don't do well with being ill. you know that man flu everyone jokes about? well i'm a woman and i get that multiplied by 10

biggup to MR c who also gave up smoking - it is Mr c's second day.

i was really hanging on the 48 hour nicotine free thing - like it was a huge marker and if i could get past that then i could get past anything. i suppose my next countdown should be a full week.

so 4 days to go - midnight friday = one full week.

i am currently sweating so much that i am wiping away sweat tears

im going to walk the dog becuase i feel a bitshitty

please answer me

ty muchly custardo

RichTeaAreCrap Mon 20-Jun-11 21:27:03

well done to you - keep going. Just think how fresh you will smell and how much money you will save, and most of all what a difference it will make to your health.

I am going to stop soon and I am dreading it - I will be a nightmare.

How long have you smoked for and how many? Are you using anything to help you?

They say to drink a glass of water everytime you get a craving and it will pass. Don't know if it works though, I suppose I will do soon when I try and stop. I will keep checking in on this to see how you are doing.

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 21:59:07

rich tea are indeed crap - what a fabbo posting name. you are not crap at all and i shall look forward to you posting about your fab non smoking experiences.

i ....just went for a run with the dog. - for no particular reason than i was feeling a bit hemmed in - its not to lose weight or anything becuase i have done nothing but eat - so i must have cancelled out a belgian bun?

i don't own jogging bottoms and dont know where my trainers are so i just dwent in my work clothes with my boots on smile do i give a shit? clearly not.

this is day three my friends at midnight precisely will begin day 4 - then i'm on the easy route to a full week.

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:03:21

do you like my name change?

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:03:41

How fab am i?

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 20-Jun-11 22:04:38

why are you going to kill the dog. Is the dog smoking in front of you?

RichTeaAreCrap Mon 20-Jun-11 22:07:52

great name change. Love the running outfit too.

Keep going, midnight is less than 2 hours away, then you have got to day 4...bloody brilliant.

frantic51 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:07:59

You are really fab and so am I! going into my fifth week! grin Was going great guns until a week last Friday when I got notice to quit from my landlord! sad so last week was really bad again. I am using the nicotine chewing gum and my jaw ACHES! But I refuse to give in! grin

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:24:00

ooh no. hows your housing situation. great and well done you for not smoking - how utterly awesome are you

tyty i like my namechange richtea and i like that you are being nice to me even though you are a smoker - hurry up and join me

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:24:33

the dog only smokes when she plays poker

frantic51 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:28:21

Hopefully found somewhere. Just waiting for credit checks etc to get the go ahead (fingers crossed). We are awesome! And we smell nice! And we are going to have lots of lovely wonga to go shopping with! grin

PonceyMcPonce Mon 20-Jun-11 22:30:43

Is the dog a beagle? Those buggers are known for it.

Have you got patches? They helped dh a lot. Until I found him on the kitchen floor blowing smoke through cat flap.

Hmm...ponders animal themed post.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 20-Jun-11 22:33:41

Oh come on please get a fucking grip. It is not hard to give up smoking, you are just talking it up big-style.

Distract yourself with something when the cravings hit (computer game, crossword, paint nails, knit something, tidy a drawer, make a list, phone a friend, go for a walk, eat a cough candy sweet {my personal favourite} ... etc x 100). Tell yourself not to be such a bloody wuss.

Can't stand feeling a bit iffy a few times a day? Come on!!!

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:37:51

i feel like shit bibbitybobbins gimme some sympahty

any anyway, wtf was your dh blowing smoke at the cat for?

im going cold turkey

ive used everything in the past - but this time its for real baby - ive had enough of not being able to breath - igts kinda essential to living

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:39:31

yes yes frantic - today dh and i saved £12

this is day three so we saved £36

i am going to buy dh something tomorrow for being ...not a twat - i want to saw awesome, he is sometimes very awesome - but i think not being a twat is a compliment in its own right.

NeverAttributeToMalice Mon 20-Jun-11 22:40:17

Am on day 6 myself. I keep getting up to go outside for a smoke, almost bought some in shop today, purely out of habit. Nicotine patches are helping, but they take longer than a cig to kick in in the morning, so am even less of a happy camper than usual.

It will be worth it. It will be worth it. It will be...

Be strong, C. wink

KilledBill Mon 20-Jun-11 22:41:29

Im giving up next week so ill come join you on this thread, have given up before but vanity got the better of me (didnt want to put on weight).

It doesnt help that I get a reaction to the patches and im not allowed those pills. What are you using?

The big thing for me was about 2 weeks in lat time, I checked my bank balance and was very confused, stood there going "WTF? why have I got all this money?"

Then it dawned on me - no fags.
As a 20 a day I save over 6 quid PER DAY.
Thats a salon treatment every 2 weeks easy. Do you have facials or anything like that? Treat yourself with the money you save. Bribery works!

cupcakeloverke Mon 20-Jun-11 22:41:31

I wish you all Good Luck!

jaggythistle Mon 20-Jun-11 22:42:07

i love how your title had random capitals, as if you were a bit mad and on the edge. i was worried for the dog so had to click, even though i am an asthmatic non smoker so have zero to offer.

quitting smoking is A Good Thing, so yay you and all the best. smile

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:44:00

NATM - day 6 you are awesomely awesome

random capitals are down to new laptop and my fingers still being in the place of the keyboard on the old laptop and hitting the caplock key - does make FOR exciting reading doesn't it

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 20-Jun-11 22:44:02

But don't you see ... don't you see ... you silly moo? ... you've already given up, you've done it!

Spend a week's saved money on some really gorgeous new perfume. Get all your coats and jackets dry cleaned. Open your windows and let the fresh air in to your house. Have your carpets and soft furnishings cleaned. Crunch tic tacs all day long.

You are an ex-smoker now. Course you can bloody well stick at it.

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:48:42

killedbill - yes yes join us merry gang of non smoking dudettes we are totally awesome-

awesome is my word of the week.

i am using nothing - no patches no inhilators

to telly ou the gods honest truth =- this is how i did it

i got so totally utterly totally awsomely fucked up on red wine last friday that i didn't want a cig the next day, i was proper fucked up - hangover to put to shame any hangover.

so thats the first 24 hours

i#m also allowing myself copious amounts of sugar. as a low carber - i do like sugar. in fact i am a sugar addict.

so when i get this non smoking thing licked in about three weeks - im going to start my serious low carbing efforts again.

today i made an awesome stew for tea. DH nearly orgasmed - nigella can go fuck herself - cos my stew beats everything amen

Tortington Mon 20-Jun-11 22:50:18

ty ty cupcake and jaggy

ty mrs bibitty - yes its a mindset thing isn't it

frantic - well done on the new place - come back and tell me how awsome it is

NeverAttributeToMalice Mon 20-Jun-11 22:53:26

Yes! Think of all those five minute fag breaks added back into your day. You'll be cooking gourmet every night!

(Although all this talk of smoking is putting a longing on me angry)

BornSicky Mon 20-Jun-11 22:56:57

oh good for you!

i had a full five months of no fags, at all. then this week, i've smoked 4.

i feel like a turd and hate it.

need to not have another one, ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now