Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low platelets

(5 Posts)
Thenextstage Mon 20-Jun-11 19:48:28

Just received a call from Drs saying my platelet count is low. Not drastically low but I need another blood test soon. I don't have any major bleeding or bruising issues. Blood test originally was checking thyroid and for menopause.

No scary stuff now - I don't want to google for this reason - but does anyone have experience of what this might be?

canyou Mon 20-Jun-11 20:02:34

Don't google, if it was serious you would not be waiting for another test, it could be because you had an infection, or maybe blood proteins caused cells to group together to cause a low/false reading, or you had a lot of quinine, did you drink gin and tonic take anti malaria meds?
All simple explanations but if you are terrible worried and it will cause you stress ring and make an appt with GP and ask him to explain the results

Thenextstage Mon 20-Jun-11 20:16:41

Thanks for your reply canyou. I agree that googling symptoms is never a happy experience!
No G&Ts or meds of any sort. Perhaps some kind of infection. Lets hope it sorts itself out before the next test and we never find out the cause.

jubilee10 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:42:21

I work in Haematology there are a few different causes but it is very, very, very unlikely to be scary.

Thenextstage Mon 20-Jun-11 21:50:26

Thanks Jubilee. I'm not used Dr ringing me so felt a bit worried.
Good to have professional reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now