Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

toothache

(6 Posts)
eatyourveg Mon 20-Jun-11 19:11:50

A molar which has been filled since childhood to the extent that there is now more filling than original tooth is giving me the most whopping toothache I can remember, even worse than when I had root canal work.

Have tried paracetamol, ibuprofen, clove oil, teatree infusion mouthrinse and bonjela. Nothin hits the spot. Anyone used anything else which might work? (have made dentist appt for tomorrow).

TarynM Mon 20-Jun-11 22:10:03

I had a similar thing, unfortunately I was pregnant at the time so the couldn't do anything to sort it out. It ended up in have root canal treatment, which isn't as bad as it sounds. On the pain side, apart from everything you have tried and keeping it clean and away from anything sharp, cold, hot etc seemed to work for me.

eatyourveg Tue 21-Jun-11 13:58:36

Had emergency root canal appt this morning as I couldn't wait for the 4.30 appt I already had been given.

Now waiting for all the puss to drain (luvvly jubbly) before going back at 4.30 for round 2 of what apparently will be 4 appts!

£55 down at the moment, dread to think what it will be by the time they've finished

can't imagine how you could have coped being pregnant not being able to take pain relief!

mangomousse Tue 21-Jun-11 15:34:00

I had an abscess under a crown and as it was over a long bank holiday it was 4 days before I could see anybody. It was the worst and most excruciating pain of my life - because it is in your head it just doesn't go away - I remember prowling the house at night and at one point banging my head against a wall seemed like a good option!! One thing I did find comforting was a hot pack, I have one of those wheat things you put in the microwave, but anything warm does help.

In the end I have the tooth removed and as it is quite a long way back have decided on remaining "gappy" for the foreseeable future.

Good luck.

eatyourveg Tue 21-Jun-11 20:48:47

you're right mangomousse the pain is like no other. I was walking around with a hot water bottle attached to the side of my face.

After appt 2 I am now on antibiotics and another £10 down. Appt 3 on friday comes with a bill of £150 with appt 4 in a fortnight also costing £150 but to be honest I'd rather cough up that and more than have to endure that pain again. Think I might look into joining Denplan or something similar

mangomousse Tue 21-Jun-11 20:53:05

Glad you've got antib's hopefully they will kick in soon and you will start to feel a whole lot better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now