Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what can dh take for horrible mouth ulcers?

(17 Posts)
jetgirl Sun 19-Jun-11 22:35:43

DH has developed a number of mouth ulcers after biting his lip following a trip to the dentist on Thursday. One of them has started bleeding and his lips are quite swollen. He is avoiding bonjela, what can he do to alleviate the pain before he can go to the gp tomorrow?

Thanks

jetgirl Sun 19-Jun-11 22:47:51

Bump

I can't take the moping around much longer!

ThatllDoPig Sun 19-Jun-11 22:49:15

get him to gargle with diluted tcp. its vile but it works.

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 22:50:08

Hot (as hot as he can stand), very salty water to gargle with

ThatllDoPig Sun 19-Jun-11 22:50:14

oops just re-read and realised they are on lip. He could get away with dabbing with tcp instead!

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 22:50:52

Avoid that mouthwash stuff corsadyl as it can make some peoples ulcers worse

GP may do nothing

hiccymapops Sun 19-Jun-11 22:51:49

Have you got any liquid anbesol? Works quicker than bonjela and soaks straight in

GentleOtter Sun 19-Jun-11 22:53:52

Sometimes a vit B deficiency can cause ulcers - B12?

It might be worth trying a short course.

WorzselMummage Sun 19-Jun-11 22:55:26

Yy to Anbesol. Those foul tasting snappy sticks you can get work too... Bonjela once I think they are called.

24 hour tesco is callin' I'm afraid.

DaisySteiner Sun 19-Jun-11 22:57:33

You can get lots of good stuff over the counter from the pharmacy. I've always found rinstead oral gel very good. Personally this isn't something I would bother a GP with unless it had been going on for quite some time with no improvement. Ibuprofen is fine to take and should help.

jetgirl Sun 19-Jun-11 23:01:50

Thanks all. Unfortunately I only have bonjela in, no tcp. The reason he's going to try gp is because one looks more infected than an ordinary ulcer. I don't think it's the vitamin deficiency because they're definitely a result from biting his numb lip after the trip to the dentist. I'll take a trip to the chemist and stock up on tcp and anbesol. I have the most poorly stocked medicine cabinet on mn, I think!

jetgirl Sun 19-Jun-11 23:03:22

Worzel - it won't upen until 6am, and I'll be off to work first thing, he'll have to fend for himself!

WorzselMummage Sun 19-Jun-11 23:08:37

Oh no. I forgot about it being Sunday. Sorry sad

fusspot66 Sun 19-Jun-11 23:13:13

Hopefully these mouth ulcers are a one off for your husband but mine suffered from them all his life and has discovered that eating an egg a day keeps them away. He wants to spread the word as his life was made a misery by them before that. That's why I looked at this thread.

sprinkles77 Sun 19-Jun-11 23:27:55

orajel gel. difflam spray. Ibuprofen if not asthmatic and no stomach problems. Maybe a sock rolled into a ball and stuffed between his lips to stop him whinging.

Eaglebird Sun 19-Jun-11 23:30:50

I once had a crop of about 20 ulcers at once. It was v painful to eat and swallow. Went to GP who said it was viral and would clear up within a week.
I read somewhere (possibly Mumsnet) about L-Lysine tablets being good for mouth ulcers so I got a jar from Holland & Barratt. Might have just been coincidence, but the ulcers cleared up within a couple of days.

jetgirl Mon 20-Jun-11 18:43:10

Thanks for all the advice yesterday. DH saw gp who prescribed something as the ulcers had become infected. He seems much happier now. (I did laugh at your sock suggestion, sprinkles. I was tempted at one point grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now