Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sigmoidoscopy - what to expect?

(20 Posts)
LunaticFringe Sat 18-Jun-11 21:27:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

missingmyflatbelly Sat 18-Jun-11 23:14:41

i had one about 8 years ago. i would thoroughly recommend requesting sedation, they try to encourage you not to, becauase then you have to stay in hospital a little while longer (i'm talking hours not days though!) but honestly don't do it without. i don't want to scare you but i really think sedation should be done for everyone for this. it is quite painful when they put in the tube and they push it up your insides, especially when your body is used to pushing things the other way (sorry tmi) so it works against your body's natural patterns.

however if you do have sedation then you wont be able to drive and you should get a taxi. also they recommend you not being alone for a few hours after if you're sedated unless you react against it and feel woozy (my hospital didn't tell me this beforehand and i went home to an empty house- i made a complaint later about this and other things, and they later changed their leaflets to include this)

maybe i just had a bad experience. hopefully someone else with a better experience will come along soon sad

on the positive side, it is a useful diagnostic tool and will hopefullly help in your treatment smile

KurriKurri Sun 19-Jun-11 11:02:10

I had one without sedation a couple of years ago. It was uncomfortable, because I've got a rather twist bowel, but not unbearable, - however if I had another I'd ask for sedation. But you will need some one with you to drive you home afterwards (in fact I would suggest a companion even if you don't have sedation - you'll feel a bit uncomfortable - with wind mainly because they put some gas in so they can see more clearly)

I would contact them and ask about the enema/bf problem, you do need to have your bowel cleared out or they can't see properly. But maybe there is an alternative to the enema.

All in all - it wasn't a terrible experience - not fun but its fairly quick - about twenty minutes tops I'd say. Everyone was very nice, and I didn't feel embarrassed, they keep most of you covered except the bit they need access too. And a nurse will hold your hand, there won't be many people in the room - in my case it was nurse, doctor and someone looking after the machinery I think, and the room was dimly lit.

Just ask if there's anything else you want to know that I might be able to answer. Good luck - it's not as bad as you think it will be smile

KurriKurri Sun 19-Jun-11 11:04:51

Oh meant to say - have you inquired about taking the baby with you? - I think I would check that that is OK, (I don't know, but you don't want them to say you can't have it because you can't take the baby in) can you get a taxi or something if you have sedation?- they definitely won't let you drive.

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 19-Jun-11 20:21:02

I had one without sedation recently. It was uncomfortable but bearable.
I atually found using the suppositaries before hand equally unpleasant.

In order to cheer you up I will share the horrid but funny bit. I arrived to find the Doctor who was going to carry out the proceedure was the mother of a pupil in my class (I'm a teacher).
I had to pretend to be completley unphased by this although actually I was thinking 'nooooooooooooo'

Before the actual proceedure they do a brief examination with a finger. She inserted her finger and in my nervous state everything went into spasm and she couldn't get it out. It was only for a few seconds and she laughed saying 'this has never happened before' but it felt like an eternity.

I have to meet with this lady next week to discuss her son's progress - I'm not looking forward to it.

hobbgoblin Sun 19-Jun-11 20:22:07

You can't have this procedure with a child in tow. Trust me on this.

Bunbaker Sun 19-Jun-11 20:28:34

I really don't recommend driving after a sigmoidoscopy. Can you really not get anyone at all to take you? I couldn't imagine having one without sedation. I had sedation and it still felt pretty uncomfortable. You absolutely must have a clear bowel before the procedure because they won't be able to get a good look at your bowel. However, I'm pretty sure that this can be done with only enemas.

Our hospital is unhappy to send sedated patients home in a taxi as they prefer patients to be collected from the daycare unit, not the hospital car park.

LunaticFringe Sun 19-Jun-11 21:15:58

hobbgoblin Sun 19-Jun-11 21:18:55

I'd rearrange if at all possible. And, if you do the enema then smear your arse with vaseline a plenty and prepare for feeling like you have raging squits.

I wasn't well prepared for this and think if you are it won't be as bad as all that afterall...cos really, it isn't smile However, it is no walk in the park.

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 19-Jun-11 21:21:45

Good luck LunaticFringe.

I have to say that as unpleasant as the proceedure was the worrying about it beforehand was the worst part for me.
Now it is all behind me I can almost smile about the whole embarassing saga

Bunbaker Mon 20-Jun-11 07:03:09

The sedation is administered via a cannula in the hand, not orally, so you may find that it is OK to still breastfeed. I'm sorry this is a worrying time for you and hope you find a solution that works. Do report back and tell us how you get on.

LunaticFringe Mon 20-Jun-11 14:56:32

callow Mon 20-Jun-11 15:43:18

The endoscopy dept I work in would never expect you to buy your own enema. They will either give you one to take home or we give it in the dept 30 minutes before the appointment.

We also offer senna and picolax as alternative, but it does depend on the reason for the sigmoidoscopy. I would rind the dept again to find out if you definitely have to buy your own.

You need to clear the bowel as all you would see is poo when the scope goes in.

LunaticFringe Mon 20-Jun-11 15:59:40

LunaticFringe Mon 20-Jun-11 16:00:10

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 20-Jun-11 16:05:55

noddyholder Mon 20-Jun-11 16:12:04

I had one about 4 months ago and they no longer do sedation at the hospital I went to. I had to do the enema thing at home and it was very powerful! The procedure was ok uncomfortable and a bit embarrassing and I stopped him after 10 minutes as I just felt odd. They had found nothing though apart from a very spastic colon and so he was happy to stop. If there is an option of sedation ask for it. I found it quite distressing not sure why though Good luck with it x

canei22 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:04:02

I had this procedure carried out with sedation, and it was fine didn't feel a thing.
The enema I had was piccolax. I had to have half of it the evening before and the other half in the morning. Well all I can say was it was very powerful!!!

I have never had a colonic but this must have come very close!

The wind after is something else, as they pump in air during the procedure. Mint tea was very helpful.

LunaticFringe Wed 22-Jun-11 20:54:54

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 24-Jun-11 00:10:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now