Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding on Cerazette - how much is normal?

(6 Posts)
LiegeAndLief Fri 17-Jun-11 21:48:29

Sorry, this is probably a bit TMI!

I'm on my third packet of cerazette after about 5 years of not using hormonal contraception (was on combined pill previously). First pack, little bit of bleeding, bit like a light period, fine. Second pack, no bleeding, even better. With the third pack I have had a lot of unpredictable and sometimes very heavy bleeding which is really causing me problems. For example, I'll have a day where I hardly bleed at all, and then have a sudden unexpected "gush" that goes right through any tampon etc and through my clothes (fortunately all so far have been at home!).

Is this normal? Is it likely to settle down or could I continue bleeding like this at random intervals whilst on this pill? I'm beginning to think it's not really worth it as two small non-sleeping children are perfectly adequate contraception on their own..

canyou Fri 17-Jun-11 22:33:22

Yikes I was about to post a similar question to yours sad But my GP did say take it for 3 months and come back for a check up and then take it for another 3 months as it does take a while to settle down, but out of 56 days I have has 4 days without bleeding and the main reason for taking it [severe period pain] is now constant angry
So if I may can I wait with you to see what replies you get whilst I plan my weeping, begging etc for a hysterectomy.

LiegeAndLief Sat 18-Jun-11 08:44:55

Oh no Canyou that sounds awful! I am lucky as I am only taking it for contraception so could easily stop and use something else. Still bleeding, on day 9 and I thought that was bad! Actually when I started taking the combined pill I bleed quite heavily for 30 days and had to swap brands a few times as I woudl start bleeding mid-cycle, so maybe I'm just not suited to hormonal contraception.

I don't know anyone else who's had this on the mini pill, but I have a couple of friends who've had the Mirena coil (which I think is the same type of hormone). One bled for 6 weeks and then nothing, so she is pleased, but the other bled for 6 months shock before asking for it to be taken out. I wouldn't mind so much if it was constant (if there was an end in sight!), it's the unpredictable heavy bits that are really bothering me.

Good luck to you, that just sounds terrible. Is hysterectomy the only other option?

TotalChaos Sat 18-Jun-11 09:25:12

I had irregular bleeding for a year on starting cerazette, then it stopped my periods completely.The irregular bleeding was light and usually painless, so was copable.

canyou Sat 18-Jun-11 12:38:18

Ok so it seems normal to bleed a lot sad I am actually bleeding as if on a real period and not spotting still at least I feel I am normal now grin, even if I do rattle from painkillers and multi vits and iron tablets.

canyou Sat 18-Jun-11 12:41:20

TBH Liege it would solve a lot of my problems but they say no as I am only into my 30's and we have only 1 bio child, the fact that the other 3 are long term foster means I might want to swap them for another bio child hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now