Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CAn anyone answer this chicken pox question?

(6 Posts)
whatsallthehullaballoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:10:11

I had chicken pox as a child. When my dd got pox a few years ago I had some blisters come on my arms and chest which dried up after 2 days...so a mild case of pox yes?

My ds now has pox and I have just seen I have a blister on my chest and spots on my neck. How can this happen again? Is it pox or coincidence. A pissed off because i wanted to go out later on my own but I suppose I cannot if I am carrying pox.

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 17-Jun-11 17:38:23

It does sound like it - very unusual though, to have not developed immunity.

Maybe see the GP sometime, not while you have the pox though, keep it to yourself if you cansmile

lljkk Fri 17-Jun-11 18:04:29

How long after your DD had the pox did your blisters come up?
I would not think it was CP either time, tbh, only the bout you had as a child.

hoomach Fri 17-Jun-11 18:48:21

Chickenpox (varicella) is caused by a virus known as varicella-zoster virus (VZV). It's unsual in that after the initial infection (chickenpox) it doesn't necessarily disappear; rather it hides itself in shingles (zoster). The lesions of shingles are the same as those of chickenpox but they only appear in the area of skin supplied by one specific nerve (so-called dermatome - just click dermatomes into Google images) and usually only unilaterally (i.e. on one side of your body). Shingles can be recurrent and tends to occur under the same circumstances as cold sore - when you are stressed, under-the-weather, etc. It may be that what you had second time around (and now this time) is actually shingles.
Does shingles matter? Well, it depends. If untreated it can leave you with chronic pain/discomfort in the area of skin where the shingles blisters appeared - so-called post-herpetic neuralgia - and this can be difficult to treat. In addition, whilst you cannot "catch" shingles per se your shingles lesions can be infectious to people who themselves have never had chickenpox and they can chickenpox as a consequence. If the happen to be pregnant and near-term then a baby can be born via an infected vagina and inhale the varicella virus into their lungs - varicella pneumonia - not good news. Likewise if the other person is immune-compromised (e.g. on chemotherpay) they may develop an over-whelming chickenpox infection - again, not good news.
Hope this helps - and sorry if all sounds a bit scarey!

whatsallthehullaballoo Fri 17-Jun-11 19:10:44

Ok thank you. I do not seem to be ill. I have the odd kind of pin-pricking sensation on different parts of my skin. Not all in one area though. When my dd had pox I got a few blisters about3 days into her erupting. This is day two of my sons pox and I have a blister and some spots around my chest and neck.

Thanks for all the advice and help. So far it has come to nothing as it did before.

lljkk Sat 18-Jun-11 00:54:35

See it would make more sense (more likely cp) if you came out with spots 12-16 days after she did. You getting spots 3 days later sounds more like coincidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now