Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post c-section exercise...

(6 Posts)
TinaB1977 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:14:25

Does anyone have any idea where I can get some decent advice on getting my fitness back after a c-section? It seems to me that there is a lot of contradictory stuff out there, especially in terms of how long I should leave it until exercising and what I can/can't do. There are also loads of fitness DVDs out there, but seemingly nothing for postnatal mums. Anyone found any?

Highlander Fri 17-Jun-11 19:31:03

I just walked a lot after about a week, and started running at about 4 weeks (with gentle sit-ups).

DS1 would only sleep when moving in the stroller so I walked a lot. Great, especially going up steep hills.

TinaB1977 Mon 20-Jun-11 12:07:10

Really? I was told not to do anything at all for at least 6 weeks, and then just very light walking after that. It's so frustrating, so much conflicting information.

Highlander Mon 20-Jun-11 14:14:22

the 'sit on your arse for 6 weeks' is very old hat

RIPSambuccaKelly Mon 20-Jun-11 14:19:27

I didn't do more than walking for about 8 weeks 9and kept walking to a gentle pace for the first 4 weeks), then joined a buggyfit class and did it twice a week until 12 weeks. At that stage I felt ready for more and started swimming and aerobics. The only thing I really couldn't handle was abdominal stuff. I waited until about 5/6 months post op (both times, have had 2 sections), but that was because I instinctively felt it wasn't the right thing for my body.

The 6 weeks thing is certainly not 'old hat'. Of course you should be led by how you feel to some extent, but any exercise more vigorous than walking in the first month or so, especially anything that puts a strain on your core abdominal muscles before the deepest stitches have had had a chance to heal - can be quite dangerous.

TinaB1977 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:10:35

thanks for the advice all, are there any good websites or dvds that are aimed at new mums that might be worth a look?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now