Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've had two borderline smears in a row

(6 Posts)
electra Thu 16-Jun-11 23:55:44

Has anyone else had this? I am pleased the cells haven't got any worse but wondering if it's inevitable they will eventually?

On a good note the smear I had most recently did not hurt at all, I did not feel it. So wanted to reassure some of you after reading the recent thread of horror stories.

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 17-Jun-11 00:01:38

Hi, apparently I had 1 borderline smear (which i was never told about!) then an abnormal smear, which ended in me being referred for cryo. I was scared, I admit, but glad it had been spotted. Had the cryo and have been having 6 mthly then yearly smears since- all normal smile

It wasn't nice at the time, but I am sooo glad I went for those smears and had prompt treatment. The treatment was nothing compared to the relief of knowing it has worked, and I am very grateful that we have this screening in place. As far as I know, from talking to the nurses and doctors at the time, borderline changes can often resolve, so I wouldn't dwell on it, but do keep going for smears when they are due!

Monty27 Fri 17-Jun-11 00:07:49

I've just had my 4/5th colposcopy. Is that the same as a cryo? this probably over the course of about 15 years. There's something there, a cell change that smears show up but the colposcopies are alway satisfactory to them and no treatment. I'm just glad they're watching.

hth

electra Fri 17-Jun-11 11:27:52

But if the next one is borderline will they suggest treatment even if there is no change again? I don't think I would want treatment unless it progressed beyond the borderline result as it is quite invasive.

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 17-Jun-11 18:18:26

Electra: The guidelines are that you would be referred for investigation (not necessarily treatment note!) on the third borderline changes result. This is a precautionary thing, to assess the cervix. If the colposcopist at this point saw something more concerning then they might suggest investigatory biopsies or treatment; attending for colposcopy doesn't mean you will need or be offered treatment. Most borderline changes do resolve on their own and without treatment.
Also remember that you allowed to decide what you want to do!

Monty27: cryocautery is using heat to ablate areas particularly sore patches of ectropians which tend to bleed.
Colposcopy is use of a special microscope to examine the cervix, usually when the woman is on a special couch, the colposcopist applies acetic acid and iodine to the surface of the cervix so changes can be be seen more clearly using the colposcope.
Colposcopists' society website with info about colposcopy

electra Sat 18-Jun-11 19:54:21

Thank you bela, that is very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now