Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are you on the organ donor register?

(62 Posts)
pinkyp Thu 16-Jun-11 23:36:58

If not why not? - just out of interest as my partner is going to be doing some fund raising and raising awareness of this. It'd be helpful to know those who chose not to be why they don't want to. Also if you are what made you decide? Thank you

perfumedlife Thu 16-Jun-11 23:41:04

I am, everything is up for grabs. I just believe it's a waste not to, and the body is not the person so have no attachment to it on death.

Dh won't commit to it yet although I'm having trouble understanding why. I think he just hasn't given thought to his mortality yet and so won't go there.

cat64 Fri 17-Jun-11 00:24:57

Message withdrawn

pinkyp Fri 17-Jun-11 01:29:20

In some counties it's compulsory unless other wise stated & they dont seem to have a problem with not enough doners. Alot of doners only sign up after the death of a loved one too I've read,

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 17-Jun-11 01:44:05

i am im sure i signed up online. DH would give them every thing anyway if i corked it....theyd only have to ask. old romantic he is! ha!

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 17-Jun-11 04:54:56

Always have been. I doubt that anyone would fancy my lungs, but I am sure that the rest would be put to good use.
DH is now, he hadn't even considered it before we were in our GPs surgery and I picked up a CC sized thing. I assumed he had already filled one out.
I was shocked to find out he hadn't and he did it on the spot.
What makes that worse was we'd been married for about five years by then.

fraktious Fri 17-Jun-11 06:02:20

I am, DH and my family know it's what I want. DH isn't but knows I would sign the form for him or anyone else unless they said they didn't want it.

When I was at school a girl had a heart transplant. She died a couple of years later but at least she had that time. I would like to give someone else tat time too.

Eddieshead Fri 17-Jun-11 06:26:53

I wasnt. Dealt with many donor operations and found it too upsetting to consider it myself at the time.

Now I work in another field, I have changed my mind and yes I am a donor now.

gillybean2 Fri 17-Jun-11 06:37:20

I'm not signed up as such. I do carry my donar card in my wallet still though as I have for years. Is that not enough any more?

breatheslowly Fri 17-Jun-11 06:42:54

I am and there seem to be lots of opportunities to sign up. I think the last time it was offered was when we changed GP surgery.

StrawberriesAndScream Fri 17-Jun-11 06:54:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Realitystrikesback Fri 17-Jun-11 07:09:03

You need to have the discussion with your rellies about it too, otherwise they can override your wishes.

Bunbaker Fri 17-Jun-11 07:14:49

I carry a donor card and have done for years. I recently went to a memorial service for a lovely old lady who had donated her body to medical research. Her husband had done the same when he died about 10 years ago, so neither of them had proper funeral services as their was no body to bury/cremate.

I am and forced encouraged DH to do so as I told him that I would donate his organs whether he wanted to or not as I wouldn't see them wasted and people dying unnecessarily.

TheBride Fri 17-Jun-11 07:18:26

No, because, ironically, as a donor recipient myself I'm banned from being a donor, or from giving blood.

lenak Fri 17-Jun-11 07:23:45

Yes I am and I think DH is - even if he's not, he is aware that I would agree to donation if anything happened to him. Would also have no problems with donating if, god forbid, anything happened to the kids - if it meant other parents could be given hope!

Life is too precious not to!

cambridgeferret Fri 17-Jun-11 09:50:38

Am on the organ donor and the bone marrow register.

Although seeing as I have been on the BM register since 1990 and am now 44, and have never been called, I think it's unlikely I ever will be.

To me it's common sense. If you don't need bits any more, pass them on to people who do. A life revolving around dialysis or increasing heart failure is not fun. sad

pinkyp Fri 17-Jun-11 10:39:12

Thebride why are you banned? I've never heard of that., I was under the impression they'd still be able to use ur other organs / tissue.

TheBride Fri 17-Jun-11 10:51:42

What I was told when I went to give blood (and I've assumed I was told correctly- tbh I've never sought a second opinion) was that because donor organs are not screened for BSE, if you've been a transplant patient yourself, you are not able to give blood or be an organ donor. It seems a bit strange, because I could have had BSE anyway (I spent a lot of my youth in the Golden arches grin) but apparently that's the policy.

If anyone knows differently, please correct me as would register if I was allowed.

pinkyp Fri 17-Jun-11 19:48:40

I will try to find out for you smile

unfitmother Fri 17-Jun-11 19:53:27

Hell yes!
DH is an organ recipient and I am so grateful to his donor family.
My 3 BILs are all organ recipients too, I reckon his family have had more than their fair share of organs.
I would donate on behalf of the dcs and they have both said they'll be joining the register when they're old enough.

Tortoise Fri 17-Jun-11 19:56:40

Yes i am and so are my DS's age 14 and 11(their choice). Ds2 showed another mum his donor card and she said she won't sign up because they just use all your parts to do tests on!

unfitmother Fri 17-Jun-11 19:58:21

Where do people get these ridiculous ideas from? hmm

LadyDamerel Fri 17-Jun-11 20:47:57

I am, as are DH and the 3dcs - I signed them up because DH is about funny about the idea of it.

I pointed out to him that if he did die and I was asked if his organs could be used then I would say yes anyway so he might as well be. TBH, I don;t care if he feels squeamish about it. If he's dead then he can't use any of it so it should go to someone whose life will be changed for the better by his death. I think it's the only positive thing that could come out of an unexpected/too early death.

I think I was prompted to actually sign up to the register (having always carried a donor card) by one of Misdee's threads about Peter while he was still on the transplant list.

Having read how much their lives have changed since his transplant, thanks to the generosity of a bereaved family I feel even more strongly that organ donation should be on an opt out basis, rather than an opt in.

BikeRunSki Fri 17-Jun-11 20:49:11

yes, since I was 16, and the Parkinson's Disease brain bank.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now