Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

microgynon is turning me into a psycho.

(6 Posts)
crispface Thu 16-Jun-11 22:00:09

the title says it all really grin

after trying different contraception for 3 years since the birth of my daughter, I have just been put onto microgynon and have, within the space of a month, turned into a mass-murdering bitch.

i have tonight stopped taking it after punching the sofa in rage when my 3 year old answered back at me shock

I am a totally different person. Please tell me it is just these hormones and the rage and anxiety will pass? I am not losing the plot am I?

How long will it take to get the hell out of my system?

tiggersreturn Mon 20-Jun-11 14:18:26

I just saw this. I took microgynon for 1 month and it was like being pg without actually being pg. Mood swings, bloating, constant tears. It seemed to go quite quickly once I stopped taking it.

Thistledew Mon 20-Jun-11 14:28:22

I had an awful time last year after they discontinued Dianette as a contraceptive. I tried Celest, mycrogynon, and one other, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Mycrogynon was for me the best of the lot in terms of mood swings, but gave me terrible acne. With Celest and the other one I had really frightening PMT. I never had any PMT symptoms (except maybe a bit of bloating) on Dianette, but on these pills I would spend two days a month in an absolute rage with myself and everyone around me. I literally had to force myself to even greet my colleagues pleasantly. I also had horrendous three-day headaches. It really scared me how bad I felt.

I am now on Yasmin, which suits me fine. I no longer get the rages, the headaches took a few months to go, but seem to be better now, and my libido has come back!

Lots of GP's do not like prescribing Yasmin, as it is apparently one of the most expensive brands. It might not even be the best one for you but don't put up with your mental health being played around with, and insist that they keep changing until you find something that suits you.

Good luck.

Sidge Mon 20-Jun-11 14:50:38

If a combined pill such as Microgynon is giving you mood changes I would stop it, and try a COCP with a different progesterone in it eg Cilest or Marvelon.

It only takes a few days to 'get out of your system'.

Ebb Mon 20-Jun-11 14:50:40

I had this with Microgynon. I was positively evil which was awful especially I was working as a nanny at the time. I tried several other pills but either had bleeds every 2 wks, bleeds that lasted 2wks or severe mood swings. I was on the mini pill after Dc1 which was fine and I've had the Mirena Coil after Dc2 as I was worried about forgetting to take the mini pill and I really don't want any more children. However, I'm debating at the moment whether the Mirena is causing my current mood swings and total lack of libido or whether it's due to Dc2 still not sleeping thru at 7mths and I'm just plain worn out! Contraception is a bitch! grin

Thistledew Mon 20-Jun-11 15:07:46

Ah yes, Marvelon was the other one that sent me crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now