Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pilates gives me cramp in my feet!

(2 Posts)
Mamadadude Thu 16-Jun-11 21:44:38

...and it's ruining my classes. I've been doing it on and off for years but more recently I have been getting terrible cramps in my feet (particularly my toes) which causes me to miss huge sections of the class 'cos I'm rubbing my toes, or walking on the spot. Any ideas on how I can prevent it? It's agony!

cardamomginger Fri 17-Jun-11 14:55:25

I go through periods when I get this too! Make sure you are properly hydrated and that your electrolytes are up. A neurologist friend of mine recommends eating bananas as the potassium can help. Make sure you warm up your feet well. Are there any particular things that spark it off? Over extension? Pointing? Things like that? If so, maybe ease off on that, particularly at the beginning of a class. Some people can find that keeping the muscles warmer can help, so maybe socks (or thicker socks) would be a good idea, although this may not work for all exercises. Has your teacher suggested anything? If it is a sudden onset thing and/or it is much worse might be worth mentioning to GP? Do you get cramps at any other times? Has anything else changed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now