Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long for bleeding to stop after tooth extraction?

(9 Posts)
Marne Wed 15-Jun-11 12:31:44

Hi, had 2 teeth out at 10.45am, drove home and had to pull over as i was bleeding so much, its now 12.30 and i'm still bleeding sad, how long will it last? i am sat with cotton wool in my mouth (biting down), dentist told me not to spit as i will bleed more but i dont want to swallow all this blood (it makes me gag).

Marne Wed 15-Jun-11 13:11:55

bump

ilovetomandjerry Wed 15-Jun-11 13:13:34

Don't know, but sounds horrid for you - could you ring the dentist?

Marne Wed 15-Jun-11 13:21:04

I think i might have too, trouble is the dentist is 40 miles away so a long way to go if they want to see me sad, it was fine when i left the hospital but as soon as i got outside it started and hasn't stoped, i have used all the dressings they have given me to bite on. Got to go pick dd's up in an hour, i think i will be going with a mouth full of cotton wool.

ilovetomandjerry Wed 15-Jun-11 13:25:43

Well, if the extraction was at the hospital - could you call them and ask advice? It's a long time since I had a tooth out but would have thought it should have slowed down or stopped altogether by now?

Good luck.

sarahtigh Wed 15-Jun-11 13:52:52

have you got a hankerchief cotton type wrap it up like sausage roll dampened it slightly bite down clamp on it for 15 mins do not release pressure for even 1 second( this part is the most important if you let go the time just has to start again) this will make your jaw ache its hard work biting down for that long; it must be damp otherwise when you do open you will take blood clot out again if dry. do not use tissues or cotton wool on its own kitchen roll will do at a push

that should solve it if it does not repeat once more for 15 mins if it does not stop then you MUST ring dentist and get advice

once it has stopped do not rinse out for next 24 hours make sure tea/ coffee is coolish do not smoke or do any exercise except walking as the jolt from running etc can dislodge blood clot

Marne Wed 15-Jun-11 14:22:11

thank you Sara- have been sat still for a while and it has slowed down, hope it doesn't start again when i get up to get dd's from school.

sarahtigh Wed 15-Jun-11 17:57:07

hope its ok now but if it starts bleeding agian and is difficult to stop you must go back to dentist or A&E minor injuries unit

Marne Wed 15-Jun-11 20:30:00

Thank you, its slowed down a lot, still bleeding a small amount, managed to pick the dd's up from school even though it bled more whilst talking to the other mums sad. Hopfully tomorrow it will be a lot better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now