Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cataract Surgery

(8 Posts)
mumof2teenboys Wed 15-Jun-11 09:15:48

Hello

I'm due to go in to hospital tomorrow to have a cataract removed under general anaesthetic. I only got the phone call yesterday lunchtime so am a bit wobbly. It's only taken them since January but thats a whole other story!

What I'm after is any advice on how to cope over the weekend, I'm a complete coward when it comes to eyes so am not looking forward to putting drops in.

Please tell me that its an absolute doddle and my vision will be perfect smile

Furball Wed 15-Jun-11 10:09:40

my mum had hers down a couple of months back and is now waiting to get the other eye done.

she said she didn't feel anything or see anything whilst it was being done. She is/was short sighted (and has been most of her life - shes 80) and now has perfect vision in that eye.

mumof2teenboys Wed 15-Jun-11 10:27:55

Thanks furball, that's just what I need to hear! Everything that I have read says that the vision will be perfect/almost perfect but my consultant is unwilling to say more than there 'will be some improvement' (the fact that I'm practically blind in my right eye surely anything will be better than what I have now)

xalala Wed 15-Jun-11 22:24:49

I'll be having cataract surgery at some point in the future - cateracts busily forming now as a side effect of other invasive eye surgery. My consultant says that they will insert a corrective lens instead of a plain one, so I either won't need glasses at all, or will need a significantly weaker prescription.

Eye drops are annoying, and generally have to be kept in the fridge so are chilly going in. There's definitely a knack to them, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of.

Good luck with your surgery, hope you have perfect vision in that eye afterwards!

mumof2teenboys Thu 16-Jun-11 08:49:50

Thanks xalala

It's the eye drops I'm dreading, I'm quite queasy whrn it comes to my eyes, so it's something I'm going to have to do myself, I can't bear anyone touching my eyes.

Hopefully by teatime today, i'll be able to see properly for the first time in months!!

starfishmummy Thu 16-Jun-11 08:56:34

My Dad had problems getting his drops in - he was 90 though! - and my brother found a little gadget at the pharmacy that helped - it looked a bit like an eye bath that fitted round the bottle and you held that over the whole eye while you squeezed the bottle which made it much easier - and you dont have to see what you are doing iyswim. Might help with the squeamishness?

mumof2teenboys Thu 16-Jun-11 09:09:05

That would be worse!! One of the 'side-effects' I've been struggling with is very dry, itchy eyes and the nurse suggested an eye-bath (optrex I think)
Couldn't do it, just couldn't get the concept of pouring stuff into my eyes. I'm a hopeless case. I think that I will be ending up with more drops down my face than in my eye. As long as some gets in it will work won't it? grin

starfishmummy Sun 19-Jun-11 17:49:33

frrgvffghfdfg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now