Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can you tell the difference between the baby blues and PND?

(20 Posts)
lactatingyetlosingit Tue 14-Jun-11 21:42:48

And really, is there any point in making the distinction?

(Reposted from dying thread in Chat)

mrsbabookaloo Tue 14-Jun-11 21:46:43

It's difficult, and no, not really. PND is often not diagnosed until after you're over it and realise it was horrible and you weren't really yourself. I think I had it with both dds, and was referred to a counsellor after dd2, presumably because the HV thought I was at risk of it, but we didn't really spend much time deciding whether or not I had it, just talked about how I felt and how I could feel better.

I was most definitely lactating and losing it!

WorzselMummage Tue 14-Jun-11 21:49:55

Well, I didn't have PND but did have PN PTSD after a traumatic pregnancy/prem birth and after a while if anyone had suggested it was the baby blues i'd have ripped their head off!

I think most people with PN mental health problems can judge for themselves.

If you think you might have Pos Natal Depression or Anxiety then you probably have.

Nothing to be ashamed about.

wompoopigeon Tue 14-Jun-11 21:51:07

The actual title doesn't matter at all.
What matters is that you get support, and it will be similar support whichever it is. Take the night hour by hour and be absolutely honest with the MW in the morning. You are riding a crazy tide of hormones, and lots and lots of issues you think you've dealt with get set off again by the birth.
You will get through this. I promise.

lactatingyetlosingit Tue 14-Jun-11 22:02:16

Thanks. Good to hear from all of you. I suppose I'm just trying to gauge at what point my feelings become a problem IYSWIM. I'd very much prefer to hope I'm making a fuss out of nothing, but I suspect I'm not.

wompoopigeon Tue 14-Jun-11 22:09:17

Look, when I volunteered for the Samaritans, we used to tell callers "if you think it's a problem, it's a problem".
And then we would talk about how to get through it.
It's not about judging from on high, your MW should listen to what you say and should take seriously your perception of how much of a problem all of this is. Just don't hold back. Any funny business like feelings about self harm, any hearing voices or seeing things others can't see, anything at all like that FGS tell her.

lactatingyetlosingit Tue 14-Jun-11 22:25:49

Um yes have experienced and/or am doing all three of the above. Oh f***, this isn't good.

perfumedlife Tue 14-Jun-11 22:29:31

I don't know to be honest but agree with the others, if you feel it's a problem, it's a problem.

Do you want to talk about it?

I just remembered being petrified for the first six weeks of ds's life, and sobbing on the phone to my mum telling her I'd just realised if anything happened to ds I'd have to kill myself. She said I had the baby blues. Six weeks later? I think I was suffering PND too, even though I'd done the Edinburgh scale thing with midwife. I'm not convinced of it's accuracy.

wompoopigeon Tue 14-Jun-11 23:24:29

Ok, the reason I typed those things is because they are totally textbook recognised symptoms but often we hesitate from telling anyone about them. Panic not, just tell the MW about them when she comes. It is her job to help you, it's what she's paid to do.
Take it as easy as you can tonight, we're all (virtually) holding your hand, and many of us have been there too.

lactatingyetlosingit Wed 15-Jun-11 08:24:22

Thanks. The night wasn't too bad. DS1 slept well (for him) and DS2 did a huge poo, which seemed to settle him.

So scared of telling the MW about the self harm, though.

wompoopigeon Wed 15-Jun-11 11:06:14

Glad to hear the night wasn't too bad. How'd it go with the MW? Remember a) it's her job and b) she'll have seen it all before.

valiumredhead Wed 15-Jun-11 11:44:51

Are new mum's still given the Edinburgh Depression questionaire to fill in?

IME baby blues are very soon after the birth, lots of tears, panicky feelings etc. PND is when those feelings don't go away and you continue to feel crap.

As someone said earlier - if you feel crap the what you actually call it doesn't matter.

perfumedlife Wed 15-Jun-11 11:48:58

valiumredhead it was seven years ago when I did it so not sure if it's still done as standard. I just didn't seem to fit the derpressed profile and yet felt utterly out of control. I really didn't rate my midwife though. First two visits she forgot to actually look at the baby, and I mean, even ask where he was confused

valiumredhead Wed 15-Jun-11 12:40:37

Perfumed Pretty sure it shouldn't be used as the only indicator of feeling crap. I spent time in a Mother and Baby unit and we all had do complete the EDS on a weekly basis - was very useful as it was easy to monitor at a glance how you'd 'progressed.' (this was 10 years ago)

I don't rate MW's full stop - have had horrendous experiences with them. I am sure there are some good ones out there...............

valiumredhead Wed 15-Jun-11 12:42:49

OP if you don;t want to tell the MW - can you have a chat with your GP, that would be my first port of call.

clemetteattlee Wed 15-Jun-11 12:47:24

The way I explain it, simplistically, in antenatal classes, is: are you looking forward to anything (a special event, seeing a friend etc) or does everything just feel hopeless?
When I had "baby blues" I knew I was going to be OK, when I had PND I couldn't be sure.

perfumedlife Wed 15-Jun-11 16:47:36

OP I agree with valliumredhead, I would have a chat with your GP. Maybe make a double appointment so you don't feel rushed.

I think clemetteattlee has it about right, hopeless versus hopeful.

babylann Wed 15-Jun-11 16:50:58

I don't think the Edinburgh scale thing is very good at all. For a start, I was in denial so I lied on the form. Ticked all the right boxes, even made it realistic by putting a few rings around the number which said I cry a bit more than I used to etc. I knew what I was doing, I just wanted to be left alone.

valiumredhead Wed 15-Jun-11 17:44:26

It's an indicator not a diagnosis.

lactatingyetlosingit Wed 15-Jun-11 20:20:27

I agree about the EDS being unhelpful. I think the problem is that many health professionals will use it as a checklist tick-box exercise to avoid actually talking to women about how they feel.

I've spoken to the MW, who was fantastic and gave me plenty of time and space - I've updated the other thread explaining more.

Thanks, all of you, for your support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now