Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help - dh just given dd a second dose of calpol on top of the first

(17 Posts)
Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 21:38:21

She is 7.5 (and a good height, not small iyswim) and I'd given her 7mls of over-6 Calpol as she wasn't feeling well earlier, headache, aching limbs etc.

dh just got home, went up to see her and didn't check with me angry, he gave her a second dose of 5 mls.

Should i do something? Anything? Is she in danger? Panicking here...

gapants Tue 14-Jun-11 21:39:29

how long between doses?

Is it the sleepy one?

Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 21:41:54

Not hte sleepy one, the normal paracetamol only over-6 years one.

About half an hour between doses. Thank god he didn't give her more than 5mls, at least, but still....

I've googled, and it talks about daily intake rather than per dose. I do know they can give more in hospital if necessary, but still worried her liver could be damaged with one too-large dose?

clayre Tue 14-Jun-11 21:42:33

Cant she have 10 mls at a time? I woudnt worry as i have had calpol prescribed at double dose from dr when ds was unwell, i dont think she'll come to any harm.

Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 21:45:15

She can have up to 10mls (well, it says 5 - 10mls for kids between 6 and 12, and she is 7.5) but she's now had about 12.5mls.

Yes, I do remember dd2 having larger doses in hospital once - was hoping someone would know about that, thank you, thats calmed me down a bit! She certainly won't be having any more in the next 12 hours...

MegBusset Tue 14-Jun-11 21:49:02

Don't panic! DH did the same once and, when I panicked a lot bit, proved conclusively that you'd have to give a kid about three bottles' worth to get to harmful levels.

Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 21:50:37

blush dh checked, apparently its not a sliding scale - the 'children 6 - 12' bit means that any child in that age group can have 5 -10 mls. So she's had 2.5 mls too much, in that case - less worrying.

Thanks Clayre, and gapants, for answering so fast - MN is my first port of call in a panic, and for good reason!

RitaMorgan Tue 14-Jun-11 21:51:00

It'll be fine, they underestimate the safe dosage on the packets anyway, and she only had 2.5mls too much. If she was 3 months old you might worry, but I'm sure she's pretty robust!

Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 21:51:02

Thank you MegB smile

I shall go and eat my cold supper now!

Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 21:51:45

And thanks Rita - x posted.

Yes, she's tough as old boots, in a 7 yr old sort of way. Much prettier, though wink

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-Jun-11 21:53:05

There was a post on mn recently and a toddler drank nearly a whole bottle and was ok.

kerala Tue 14-Jun-11 21:55:47

Am sure I remember my BIL who is a consultant anaethetist (sp) being very relaxed about overdosing on calpol as its pretty weak anyway.

clayre Tue 14-Jun-11 22:02:24

You made me worry for a bit as i was giving ds 6 10 mls at a time last week when he was unwell, i thought i had been double dosing him so went and checked the bottle!!!

gapants Tue 14-Jun-11 22:04:14

Phew all sounds fine, remembering the Dr actively encouraging me to give big does of calpol and then staggering doses of that and ibuprofen when DS was sick.

She will be fine, probably have a great sleep and feel much better tomorrow.

Elibean Tue 14-Jun-11 22:35:11

smile

dh is glad you are all here (if a tad blush). His wife is sane again, and dd is, as you say, soundly sleeping.

Just to clarify - its not the pink stuff we gave her, but the orange flavoured 6yrs+ one. Otherwise I'd not have turned a hair!

midnightmunchies Tue 14-Jun-11 22:49:32

Elibean - I'm a paediatric A&E nurse. The toxic dose of paracetamol is 150mg per Kg weight of child. So assuming your DC is an average weight 7 yr old - approx 22kg, your DC would have to have had 3300mg of paracetamol and you have only given 625mg - so well below toxic dose.
HTH

Elibean Wed 15-Jun-11 14:37:13

It does, thank you smile

Will remember that to pass on to future panickers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now