Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cold Sores

(4 Posts)
chocaholic73 Tue 14-Jun-11 16:29:11

I have suffered from cold sores since I was little but in recent years they have only popped up occasionally and I have gone for several years at a time without suffering at all. When they have come I have used zovirax cream which definitely has helped. In the last few months, it seems that I am getting a cold sore every few weeks and it really bugs me, they are so unsightly. It is fair to say that I have been under some stress recently but this is outside my control. I wondered if any fellow sufferers have suggestions for copingwith /treating these unwelcome things that I could use as well as/instead of zovirax.

Morebounceperounce Tue 14-Jun-11 20:46:24

Yes! Get yourself down to Boots and purchase a cold sore zapper. It doesn't make them completely go away but, for me, it decreased the size of the blister and the time it took for the sore to heal, with no nasty scabs. Would definitely recommend giving it a go if you really can't be doing with the sores much more, well worth £35 in my book.

I've also had a course of aciclovir (the active ingredient in zovirax etc) from the GP and didn't have any for a quite a while but can't catagorically say that that wasn't due to the pills as I only get them sporadically.

chocaholic73 Tue 14-Jun-11 21:14:39

wow ...thanks, I will be off down to Boots to get one of these.

easycomeeasygo Wed 15-Jun-11 21:40:22

I suffer with coldsores every couple of months since i was about 15 (im nearly 36) i've used many creams and potions but found the best thing is lemon juice! I'd had enough as i had two in the same week so I did a bit of research on the internet and someone recommended lemon juice, its worked for me, I only use the stuff out of the plastic lemon lol, but i put a couple of blobs on the sore while its still red and keep applying it ever couple of hours and then it goes! Well it works for me anyway, would be worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now