Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mass in right ovary...

(27 Posts)
sunnyrevive Tue 14-Jun-11 15:32:19

Hello

Have just got back from the hospital and am scared. I gave birth 11m ago and over the last 5m I've been having pains around my hip. No period (am BF). The doctor eventually referred me for an ultrasound which I had today. The sonographer said that my right ovary was enlarged and that she'd found a 'mass' in it. She initially thought was an endomitrioa but wasn't sure and neither was the colleague she brought in. They've referred me back to my GP to be referred for an 'urgent' gynae appointment. They couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything else and wouldn't let me speak to a gynae.

I'm absolutely petrified.

I have a history of dodgy ovaries - I came off the pill a few years ago and didn't get a period in over six months so went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with PCOS, then undiagnosed (long story) and my cycles started back. I then got pregnant at the end of 2009.

The pain I was having wasn't constant and seemed to happen every 3/4 weeks for a week or so and then went away. I also wasn't certain it was internal so went to an osteopath, who diagnosed me with runner's knee (which he said caused the hip pain). Since seeing him and doing the exercises etc the hip pain has pretty much disappeared. In fact, I wholly expected the ultrasound to be totally normal.

Does anyone have experience of this. I'm 29.

HuwEdwards Tue 14-Jun-11 15:36:59

I don't but you sound so worried, I am replying, to keep this post in 'active' so that someone might come along who can help.

Could you get a gp appointment and talk over the possibilities? I'm sure there must be a variety of reasons...

HuwEdwards Tue 14-Jun-11 15:41:27

sunnyrevive Tue 14-Jun-11 15:43:55

Thanks.

I have to contact my GP at the end of the week anyway to make sure he's referred me so will speak to him then.

HuwEdwards Tue 14-Jun-11 16:00:16

Good luck Sunny

chipstick10 Tue 14-Jun-11 16:09:39

Sunny i hope all is well. I was suffering something chronic 11 yrs ago. Pain was intolerable during and just before my periods. Sometimes in my right side sometimes in my lower abdomen. Eventually had a scan. They could see fluid around my right overy. Then had an endoscopy. Results came back, severe endemetriosis. You seem to have had a history of overy problems so dont go looking for worst case senarios (easier said than done), let us know how things go Sunny.

sunnyrevive Tue 14-Jun-11 16:14:31

Thanks. I know logically that it's nothing to panic about, but it's just the way the sonographer wouldn't tell me anything, and talked about an 'urgent' referral which freaked me out. If she'd just said 'we'll refer you for further investigation' or whatever, I'd have been fine..

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 16:19:19

If they are not sure, they prefer to get it checked out quickly-that's how it should be.

FWIW I had similar ovary story twice- once it was just a cyst, once the sonographer had no clue what it was but it has disappeared within few weeks. Don't panic, there's lots of things it could be.

chipstick10 Tue 14-Jun-11 16:20:06

I remember when id had my endoscopy. The nurse in charge was telling the other women what the doctors report said on each of their reports. When it came to me she said "sorry i cant read his writing". Wtf !!!!!! i was absolutley petrified, soon after i had a panic attack. Dont read anything into the radiographer.

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 16:21:07

Oh, and btw, medical personel can be like that sometimes- I remember I went for an ovary scan and gyneco called me telling me to come in next morning. I was like shock. Went in sure it was very serious, turned out it wasn't anything at all hmm

sunnyrevive Tue 14-Jun-11 16:25:09

Thank you all so much. My husband's away with work until Thursday and the nanny's downstairs with my darling baby (I work from home, not that I'm getting much done this afternoon..) and I'm sitting here thinking up all sorts of horrible scenarios. All of you have helped so much. My life's so wonderful at the moment, I've almost convinced myself that something bad's going to happen..

sunnyrevive Tue 14-Jun-11 20:43:10

purpleredwhite Wed 15-Jun-11 13:10:44

No experience but hope all is well

magso Wed 15-Jun-11 14:05:15

That no mans land of knowing something looks abnormal but not knowing why is horrid. Yes it happened to me some years back when I was TTC and not getting anywhere so had an ultrasound. Found a dodgy looking ovary ( amongst other things.) I was sent for laparoscopy and biopsy. It was an ovarian cyst (with old scarring from an earlier problem making it look unusual)-harmless. The waiting was awful - the first few days especially. I did get better at suppressing those imaginings with time.
Medical staff ( sonographer) usually cannot tell you much - their job is to pick up what looks unusual - not second guess why.
I hope you manage to relax a bit ( hard I know) and that the news will be good. Sending a (hug).

crescent Wed 15-Jun-11 14:32:23

I never post nowadays, I'm one of the old grannies on here but had to post just this once.
My daughter recently had this situation happen to her when she had a NHS scan on her ovaries. She was also told 'a mass' with no more detail. She then decided to go privately and found out that she had endometriosis and a variety of cysts both in and on her ovaries. The scanner used in the private hospital gave a much more detailed scan.
She has now had an hysterectomy but nothing 'nasty' was found.
So do hope you get better news very soon.

lexp72 Wed 15-Jun-11 15:38:11

I was referred urgently to a gyno recently as well (I'm 35) and was terrified. I had what looked like a cyst on the ultrasound, along with ovarian cancer symptoms and a raised CA125 level. Everything was ok and it turned out to just be a cyst and symptoms have now gone. I know it's hard not to be worried but there are lots of other things it might be and you are very young!

sunnyrevive Wed 15-Jun-11 15:52:05

If there was an 'immensely touched and cheered up by your responses' emoticon I'd be using it. So glad that you're all doing well and thank you for taking the time to respond.

xx

luminary Wed 15-Jun-11 16:03:38

Just to let you know that I had a mass in my left ovary 3 years ago, which was found on examination and confirmed on scan. Slightly elevated CA125 levels too. It turned out to be a massive cystadenoma that required surgery to remove. Frightening at the time, but it all turned out okay (ie it was removed successfully, I recovered okay, and it was benign). I think most ovarian masses are benign, and they are much more likely to be benign if you are young (ie pre-menopausal), which you are.

I didn't have any pain with mine, but I think it's less common when they are as large as mine was (30cm) - they are too big to twist around on themselves and they are unlikely to burst. I think the pain is good actually - I didn't know mine was there until it was massive and I couldn't bend in the middle properly.

I did lose my ovary in the operation, but it was a small price to pay (even though I was, unsuccessfully, ttc at the time). I'm no worse for wear now. I'm sure you'll be fine, frightening as it is at the moment.

Also, when mine was diagnosed, my DH was away on a week's course, and I was all on my own. I ended up getting a friend to come to the ultrasound with me, which helped a lot.

Good luck!

sunnyrevive Thu 16-Jun-11 13:28:53

So I've called the GP and they've had nothing through from the hospital - apparently urgent cases are faxed through but nothing's arrived yet (from an app Tuesday afternoon). And I can't get through to the hospital since nobody's answering...

chipstick10 Thu 16-Jun-11 14:04:23

So clearly they dont feel its urgent. Isnt that a good sign!!!!smile

sunnyrevive Thu 16-Jun-11 14:16:17

GP's just called and the fax has now come through. But now the doctor has to look at it and will call me back later this afternoon.

This is so stressful.

magso Thu 16-Jun-11 15:13:03

Its so hard not to worry- can you do something that requires consentration to distract yourself. Of course they may have faxed the letter because the practice queried it.

sunnyrevive Thu 16-Jun-11 17:20:43

I went to Tesco's...

The doc's called and she didn't sound overly concerned. She's going to refer me but didn't seem to think that it was massively urgent (although she might just have not been wanting to panic me)... From google-ing what she said the report said, it's just a cyst rather than anything else, which is a relief, although I want medical confirmation.

chipstick10 Thu 16-Jun-11 17:33:19

Gps dont play games, if she had something to tell you, she would. Im sure its a cyst, and as horrid and painful as they can be, they are easily got rid of. Relax and enjoy your darling baby. smile

sunnyrevive Thu 16-Jun-11 19:41:48

Thank you smile Am massively touched by the kindness of people on this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now