Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Having teeth out in hospital tomorrow and sh*ting myself, please tell me it will be fine?

(5 Posts)
Marne Tue 14-Jun-11 12:07:45

I hate the dentist (scared to death of the place), my teeth are not great, because i get so anxious my dentist has referred me to the hospital dentist, a few months ago i went for an x-ray and the dentist decided i needed 4 teeth out, i had the option of having them out awake or under anesthetic, i oppted for awake but now i am getting so anxious, The dentist is lovely and said we will start by taking just one/maybe 2 out and then come back another day for the others, last week one of the teeth fell out but left the roots under the gum so will still need roots removed. So tomorrow i'm of to the hospital to see what they are going to do (with the one that fell out/roots) and to have one or 2 teeth out, i am already very anxious sad, please tell me it wont be that bad? its the injections that i really hate (this is whats making me anxious), once i have had them i'm sure the rest will be easy (i hope).

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 14-Jun-11 12:33:13

Can you phone the dept. and ask if anyone there can speak to you about having some sort of sedation? Not necessarily an anaesthetic, but something to take you down a notch or two? I am certain that the hospital will be used to requests like that.
I am the opposite, I don't mind the injections, I just have such a strong gag reflex that I end up vomiting. The last dental treatment I had was a replacement filling. It ended up with me having a GA sad blush
Good luck

KurriKurri Tue 14-Jun-11 12:51:07

I agree with Kreecher, sedation might be an option. Also tell them you fear the injections - I think there is something they can rub on your gum to numb it before they inject.

I had a molar out under local anaesthetic. It really wasn't too terrible, - no pain, just a feeling of pressure as it was pulled, but it was very quickly out. The only thing I didn't like was the nurse held my head to stop me moving and I have a bit of a thing about being restricted.

It was sore for a few days afterwards, - I think I would take the option of not having them all done at once, - I think you'd feel pretty bruised with four at the same time.

Good luck, - I know it's scary - I was very nervous too, but actually it turned out to be nowhere near as bad as I'd thought. smile

Marne Tue 14-Jun-11 12:59:36

Thank you, Kreech, my dh has the same problem with the gag reflex sad.

The denstist seemed very understanding when i saw him last, he said he will be extra gentle and i will hardly feel a thing. I cant realy go for the sedation route as i have to drive straight after (going alone and need to be back for school run). I had a wisdom tooth out years ago and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, i dont know why i'm getting in such a state over this sad.

I feel such a wimp, i keep thinking 'i have managed child birth with no pain relief and have had tatoo's and not flinched' but theres something about injections in the mouth which makes me feel really anxious, i hate them sad.

Pedallleur Tue 14-Jun-11 14:30:27

I hated dentists which is why my teeth are a mess (i'm 50). In my 20's I spent a lot of time at the Dental Hospital getting braces/extractions/crowns/fillings etc and the familiarity of the place cured me of some of the fears. I had one guy do an extraction and it was like a magic trick - I didn't know he had done it. Dentists are professionals who undergo really hard training (nearly as much as Doctors for a smaller area). They know that most people are squeamish. just let him/her do the job - take an Ipod if you can but it will be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: