Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I broke my finger a few weeks ago - is it worth going for an X-ray/treatment or will it heal itself?

(7 Posts)
Imps7 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:28:42

Hello

I fell over while playing tennis about 5 weeks ago. Since then my index finger has been swollen, stiff and slightly red. It's not causing me any particular problems so I'm inclined to just leave it, but could I do more harm than good if I just let it fix itself (if, that is, it is broken)?

Sorry for daft question but I don't want to waste the hospital's/my own time if it will just go away by itself in due course.

Many thanks!

GailPro Tue 14-Jun-11 09:33:53

It will probably heal itself, and if it was broken will be well on its way to doing so already. If its not healing in a deformed way, and not bothering you, I'd just leave it, they are unlikely to do anything at hosp at this stage anyway. Even if it were fresh, they would probably just 'buddy strap' it to its neighbouring finger.

Good luck

bruxeur Tue 14-Jun-11 09:34:37

Missed your window to do much about it - you're virtually healed now - but if you need to know for duration of symptoms, then go via your GP for an XRay. It is not an emergency thus not one for A+E.

Imps7 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:38:02

Perfect - thanks! I'll just leave it to get on with it.

Bruxeur - somewhat ignorantly I had no idea that you could go to your GP for an x-ray! Will remember that in future.

bruxeur Tue 14-Jun-11 21:32:30

Right now you need to work the hell out of it to get as much range of movement back as you can - finger joints get very stiff if not exercised +++, it will always be a bit swollen but shouldn't give you any pain.

Make fist/straighten finger/make fist/repeat and push it as much as you can. You are unlikely to hurt it at this stage but if you don't give it a good go now then what you have at the mo will be it for life.

bruxeur Tue 14-Jun-11 21:33:25

Any pain long-term, that is - RoM exercises are going to smart a bit.

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-11 21:44:41

Our GP would't do anything re an xray in such a situation. They don't even refer. They tell you to go to a&e - it's classed as an accident, abeit not emergency. We do also have a walk in centre for minor injuries too at the hospital so I'd head there.

However, if ti si a few weeks ago there is probably nothin more they can do. Unless, of course, it is causing you a lot of pain or discomfort,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now