Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Seriously strained/wrenched my neck??

(7 Posts)
Vix1980 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:25:20

I did the stupidist thing, i dared to walk down the stairs last night and somehow i pulled my neck out, i cannot drive as i cant look to my left without turning all my body, ive taken co codamol, rubbed in a muscle gel but still nothing, ve had neck pain before but nothing this bad, ive rung in sick as i cant face walking about, just sitting here in bed with an old neck collar on as its the only thing that eases it, any ideas what else to do???? im desperate

bruxeur Tue 14-Jun-11 09:29:44

Regular pain relief, NSAIDs if you can take them, take that bloody collar off and don't expect it to get much better for a few days.

Keep the neck moving gently, chin down, chin up, look left and right, tip each ear onto each shoulder. Do NOT keep to position of comfort, will extend symptoms by days.

pleasenap Tue 14-Jun-11 09:55:09

I have a neck that 'goes' every now and again. It can be excrutiating, so you have my sympathies! Agree completely with bruxeur about no neck brace and no keeping in one position. Gentle movement and motion within the limits of your pain threshold - just don't try and hold yourself in one position and tense up all the other muscles trying to maintain it - I used to do that (without really realising it) and it makes it worse as it extends the symptoms and can result in the surrounding muscles going into spasm which radiates the pain further. So hard as it is, just keep actively trying to relax your shoulders and neck.

Apart from strongest pain killers/NSAID most effective thing for me is to have heat applied - so a microwaved wheat pillow or a hot water bottle every now and again (not constantly - but every 3h or so?). Really helps with the pain and seems to shorten my symptoms as I'm able to relax better with the heat.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 14-Jun-11 10:50:20

Your muscles may have gone into spasm too. It could be worth trying to see someone for valium or similar which may help.
FWIW, my neck used to do that and it is bloody painful. I had several diagnoses of pulled muscles etc, but an xray showed that I have spondylitis or spondylosis- I can't remember.

Vix1980 Tue 14-Jun-11 17:44:19

Hi, thanks for the replies, i was already under the care of my doctor for neck problems and was due to have tests for spondylosis as it runs in the family,already had those pain relieving patches which were useless and tried massage and acupuncture which at 1st really helped, then the nurse was moved and i got a crappy 1 who didnt know what she was doing!

Ive taken the neck thing off and went for a little walk for a coupld of hours as it was so nice, looked like robocop walking especially when checking the roads but think its a bit easier tonight,going to try the heat thing, just got to find a hot water bottle from somewere! thanks again

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 15-Jun-11 09:32:17

Have you tried a TENS machine. It won't cure the pain, but will certainly ease it.

eastendmummy Wed 15-Jun-11 09:58:28

I did something similar while i was asleep so when I woke up I couldn't lift myself out of bed. Your description of robocop fits exactly. I put up with it for 2 weeks then caved in and saw a physio who said that I had compressed a disc which was then irritating a nerve. She did some ultrasound, some very gentle manipulation and it's been fine for the last few weeks. The lasting result is that I can't really tip my head up which makes applying mascara in the morning quite tricky! Can you go to a physio who can do a couple of simpe tests to check you out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now