Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What can I do/eat to give me more energy?

(12 Posts)
create Sat 11-Jun-11 20:46:55

I think I already do most of the things you "should"

I eat well, am "normal" weight, exercise 4 times a week, get 7-8 hours sleep a night and have no health problems, but ATM (and most evenings) I'm shattered. I often wonder how people who aren't so fortunate even make it through a day.

I've had a busy and quite stressful week at work and was very tired last night. When DC were in bed though, DH and I had a nice dinner (in our kitchen!) with a bottle of wine, so happily tipsy, but not hungover today and a fairly early night.

Today we got up at 8ish, had breakfast together and played a word game that DS1 had to do for homework. Then DS1 went out to play for a bit and DS2 and DH washed the car while I pottered at a bit of tiding. DS1 wanted to make lunch, so I helped him cook sausages with some salad bits and a steamed pud (his menu choice).

After lunch we played board games for a bit, then I watched some tennis. DS2 decided he was doing tea, so we made bagels (far too much faff for the results, but fun to do with DS) and after tea we all went for a short walk.

DC bathed and in bed after stories by 8pm.

So really, it's been a good day, but nothing very taxing. I shouldn't be this tired!

Sultanaofswing Sat 11-Jun-11 20:50:09

Coffee.

Nickoka Sat 11-Jun-11 20:51:14

Have you tried iron supplements? I think I read somewhere that about 40% of pre-menopausal women are a bit deficient.

Also maybe cut back on one of the exercise sessions if they are very aerobic or have a walk instead.

supadupapupascupa Sat 11-Jun-11 20:52:10

have you considered pregnancy as a cause?

create Sat 11-Jun-11 21:34:11

shock definitely not pregnant!

Hmm Iron? Maybe actually, although I pass the giving blood pin prick test (haven't been for a while mind) I guess iron levels could be a bit low - not much red meat in a "healthy" diet and I know other sources are harder to absorb.

I did look while ago actually and couldn't find an iron supplement that wasn't part of a multi-vitamin. Why is that?

amistillsexy Sat 11-Jun-11 21:37:19

Spa Tone isn't part of a multivit. I think they put it in multivits as some vitamins need others to aid absorbtion.

IntotheNittyGritty Sat 11-Jun-11 21:41:44

Have you had your bloods checked. I strongly recommend you do before self diagnosing

bubble2bubble Sat 11-Jun-11 21:53:10

If you're not eating much meat you could also be a bit low in the B vitamins. IME a good Vit B complex can give you a real burst of energy and can really help with tiredness. Very common also to be low in magnesium which has a big effect on energy levels. It would probably be a short term thing- just try a supplement for a few months.

Iron needs vitamin C to be absorbed but I think the reason it's not particularly easy to buy off the shelf is because the advice is if you genuinely think you may be anaemic you should have blood test and then your iron levels would be monitored - rather than self prescribing. Also taking iron can be tricky - makes a lot of people feel nauseous/constipated etc so unless you really need it you probably want to avoid! Spatone is definately one of the easier iron supplements to take if you do want to try though.

MarcellusWallace Sat 11-Jun-11 21:57:46

Bananas!

create Sat 11-Jun-11 22:05:59

I don't really think I can be that deficient in much, I take my Berocca and have sunflower/pumpkin and flax seeds on my porridge in the morning, aren't they good for Magnesium and B vits? The I have a good handful of Brazil nuts, almonds and cashews as a mid morning snack, with a banana!

I did have a blood test a while back, but I've also read that you can be low in iron, enough to make a difference to how you feel, without it being low enough to class as anemic.

RoadArt Sun 12-Jun-11 00:45:25

How long ago was a while back? Go back to your doctor and explain your symptons. A lot of minor issues can be diagnosed through the blood

eurochick Sun 12-Jun-11 13:25:03

I had this. I literally had to drag myself around the place. I never had any energy. I thought it was due to my crazy job (stressful with some v long hours). It was only when I had a few months off between jobs and had no stress and lots of lie ins and STILL felt the same that I decided to see someone about it. I went to the dr and he did a bunch of investigations, starting with the standard things - anaemia, thyroid, etc. - moving to more unusual causes. They were about to send me for a test x-ray for TB (!) when I saw a young locum instead of my usual dr who looked again at my test results and said I was not anaemic but my iron stores were on the low side. She suggested that while I was waiting for the chest x-ray and other tests, I try some iron tablets (200mg of ferrous sulphate). I was a bit sceptical as I was also a blood donor and my pin prick tests had never even been borderline, and I had recently gone from being veggie for many years to eating meat again, so I thought it was unlikely but gave it a go anyway.

Within about 2 weeks I felt ten times better. I had always had heavy periods and they must have depleted my iron stores, just not quite enough to make me anaemic. 3.5 yrs on I am still taking them. I have tried to wean myself off them several times but within a few weeks I always end up feeling like crap again, so have to start taking them again. They really make a huge difference.

When you go to the dr, get them to look at your iron stores as well as anaemia.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: