Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Travel insurance - variety of medical issues/treatments in the current year

(15 Posts)
Acekicker Sat 11-Jun-11 12:50:19

Any suggestions for good but not extortionate travel insurance that will cover our moderately 'eventful' family history this year. Historically we've used Flexicover but I suspect I may need to shop around a bit following the last few months. We're off in a month for a week in Spain so I'm happy to get 1 weeks cover rather than an annual policy.

Ideally I'd like to get everything covered rather than have existing things as exclusions. The family history is this:

Me - endometrial ablation a month ago, follow up consultation not until after the holiday. All fine except I've currently got phlebitis (surface vein thromboses) in my arm from the IV (am on anti-b's and heparin cream). Am happy not to buy the insurance until this has cleared up but will have to declare it

DH - ultrasound (thankfully all clear) for lump on testicle - discharged fully this week by the hospital. Also having a benign mole removed next week (again will get this done before we buy insurance)

DS - existing anaphylactic allergy to nuts (covered no problem in the past as no reactions in years), excema (generally controlled but also on anti-b's at the moment), just (yesterday!) been referred for probably medical circumcision. We'll have had the consult but not the op before we go.

So none of it's serious stuff but I'd like to have us fully covered including the ongoing stuff. I'm happy to shop around and resigned to paying more to cover all the stuff but I'd prefer to pay as little as possible...

Thank you!

Bearcat Sat 11-Jun-11 13:21:19

As you are holidaying in the EU wouldn't any emergency problems that cropped up be covered if you take your E111 cards with you?
Mymain reason for buying holiday insurance if I am holidaying in the EU is to be able to be air lifted home if I was to for instance be involved in an RTA, or some other unexpected medical emergency where I would be unable to return on a normal charter flight
My DH has had cancer twice and I just don't even mention this on the insurance application as they would not pay for any previous condition like this, and he is totally well now as this was 6 and 18 years ago now.
Or am I missing something here???

Acekicker Sat 11-Jun-11 13:47:58

Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way - excluding the stuff we've had this year wouldn't mean we're not covered for repatriation following something else and it is the repatriation and theft/cancellation stuff that I'm really keen to get. I guess I'm just very cautious and like to know that we've got as much coverage as we can get...

Butterbur Sat 11-Jun-11 13:55:43

I have a long term medical condition, and various people on a related site I go on have used Direct Line, AA, and The Post Office for travel insurance.

smudgethepuppydog Sat 11-Jun-11 15:15:55

We use Travel Insurance Medical as DD is a chronic asthmatic who has had numerous admissions and DH has had a TIA, a DVT and diabetes (type 2) and I have had a benign tumour in the past 12 months and asthma they only load the insurance by £10 each which is a bloody miracle.

trixymalixy Sat 11-Jun-11 15:18:55

We used Columbus. We have various hospital admissions for asthma and allergies. They wouldn't give us annual cover only single trip.

Keziahhopes Sat 11-Jun-11 16:08:00

In the past we have used Nationwide, who if you declare something will not offer you insurance payouts for those things but will cover you for everything else - and not charge a fortune as they exclude pre-existing conditions. Not used it for a while, so not sure if still the same.

RoadArt Sat 11-Jun-11 16:15:27

Just make sure you are honest with medical history. I went to hospital and the insurance co wanted full access to medical records before they would agree to any treatment.
Compare policies in close detail they all vary their cover

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 11-Jun-11 16:28:22

Even with the E111 I'd personaly try to get complete cover. You know hat companies are like and if they can link you accident/illness in any way to something they've excluded they will.

I use Able2Travel for dd's cover. They covered us at a reasonable price when no-one else would.

trixymalixy Sat 11-Jun-11 17:03:46

Bearcat, you may have made your travel insurance void by not declaring it. Insurance companies will use anything to get out of paying.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 11-Jun-11 17:27:37

Acekicker,

You've used Flexicover in the past; they may still be able to give you a good deal still if you are a long standing customer with them. Shop around anyway.

The E111 card no longer exists. E111 cards were replaced in 2006 by EHIC cards (which are also limited in their own way as well; they do not cover repatriation costs back to the UK in the event of a medical emergency for instance).

You must be completely thorough and tell them everything re medical histories because non disclosure will lead to them not paying out in the event of a claim. They will likely load the premium as a result of all that is happening medical wise within your family but better safe than sorry. You must, must check all the small print and exclusions; not all travel insurance policies are created equal by any means.

Do not just rely on EHIC cards alone; travellers must always have adequate travel insurance even if it costs more. You should not just think in terms of financial outlay to you. It will cost far more if you have to bail your own self out.

Acekicker Sat 11-Jun-11 17:54:54

Thanks everyone - am making a list to use when I do get around to phoning around. Atilla you've reminded me I have got a discount code for Flexicover in the past so I will dig that out.

I wasn't planning on relying just on EHIC (as an aside, everyone needs to make sure their cards are valid, I had to renew DS's a few months ago) and I'd definitely be declaring everything - having had insurance companies as clients in the past I know that any excuse to invalidate cover is seized upon by them.

I'm happy to pay extra to get everything covered if I can in anycase, I'm just keen to not pay loads more than I have to if that makes sense. As a bit of a control freak (hence probably obsessing slightly about insurance today, I can 'organise' that even though I can't organise everyone's health iyswim) I'm definitely someone who likes to have proper coverage etc in place.

Bucharest Sat 11-Jun-11 17:56:58

Hello my lovely.

My Mum swears (bizarrely) by M and S travel insurance.

No idea why/how though.

Acekicker Sat 25-Jun-11 15:09:24

smudgethepuppydog we went with Travel Insurance Medical in the end - thank you!

Sirzy Sun 26-Jun-11 08:00:54

We always use Direct travel for insurance and have no problems even with the long list of medical problems between us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now