Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

pelvic girdle pain - I think?

(3 Posts)
memory505 Sat 11-Jun-11 12:22:00

Anyone had any similar experiences?

I had a bit of pelvic girdle pain during my second trimester and was referred to a physio class and realised it had a lot to do with way I was sitting at my desk (chair etc). I changed this and the problem seemed to go away.

After giving birth (4 and a half months ago) I felt quite achy but carried on, but found I kept straining myself, for example when carrying the car seat so I adjusted and tried to avoid heavy things. But I had to carry my 4 year old son a few weeks ago and that's when the problems really began. A few days later I was having difficulties walking and booked to see an osteo who found that my SI joint was stuck. (muscles around area also tight etc). Osteo was confident that 1 or 2 sessions would cure the problem as it was a straight forward si joint problem, but 6 sessions on and I'm only marginally better. After getting my si joint moving again, it got stuck again. It's moving again now but I'm terrified it's going to get stuck again.

I am still in pain and it still hurts to walk but that's not my biggest concern. My concern is how long it will carry on for? Osteo suggested that pilates might help strengthen my core so I want to do this. I've read loads of horror stories about taking years to recover which I'm finding really depressing. I've only been like this for about 4 weeks and I'm already so frustrated that I can't do a lot of regular activities.

Has anyone had problems starting after pregnancy? How long did it take to recover? What helped? Thank you

indigobarbie Sat 11-Jun-11 13:06:54

the best advice I can give you is, if it hurts don't do it, and if you find things that make it hurt try to limit yourself. I had major issues too and at 16 months after giving birth am only now feeling back to myself. I do believe a lot of it is hormones, so at 4 and a half months I think your body still has a lot of the relaxin hormone.
It's not easy but if it hurts when you walk, then please try not to do too much. I am speaking from a place of having severe SPD/PGP during my and after my pregnancy. I felt better physically after roughly 8 months, but during the times of my period i would feel this made everything flare up.
In my experience if you overdo it you are going to hinder your recovery. It is very depressing. See if you can get to a maternity physio, I was able to see one for 12 months after giving birth emcs. She did help, but there were no exercises - only rest. HTH a little. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

memory505 Sat 11-Jun-11 18:16:23

Thanks. Good to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is a few months away. I think I've already set myself back by overdoing it a few times. I'm just not sure of my limits at the moment, but I think it's in the region of walking for only 2-3 minutes at the most.

Not sure how I'm going to manage with a 4 year old and a baby in a second floor flat (no lift) for the next few months but I guess the time will fly by.

I've asked my GP for a physio referral so hopefully I might see someone soon (although I was warned that it could be a long wait). I'm a very impatient person so I'm not good at waiting but I guess I might just have to learn to be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: