Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Beta blockers for anxiety

(4 Posts)
Dozydoris Fri 10-Jun-11 19:49:44

I saw a new doctor yesterday who advised I switch from Valium to Beta blockers to help with my anxiety. So I get the prescription filled and like any good hypochondriac googled beta blockers. It appears that they are primarily used for people with high blood pressure to make the heart slow down (I think).

So I'm wondering, if the doctor should have checked my blood pressure first to make sure I've not got LOW blood pressure?

Any advice appreciated.

hiddenhome Fri 10-Jun-11 20:20:52

The dose that he'll have given you won't be high enough to cause much change in your bp. The body is pretty good at coping at adjusting itself. If you do start to feel dizzy then go and have it checked. Beta blockers are safe and used extensively to treat anxiety. I was on mine for several years until the anxiety gradually eased off and I just reduced my doses until I didn't need it any more.

When I was on propranolol I used to feel a bit dizzy when I stood up too quickly, but it was always fine when I measured it.

Propranolol is really good and it's great for anxiety. The only real side effect that I used to get was a bit of tiredness from time to time.

25goingon95 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:44:35

I took propanolol for a few months, 40mg i think it was and the GP checked my BP before he prescribed it. The side effects i had were tiredness every now and then, and very vivid dreams! It really helped me, hope it helps you.

Dozydoris Fri 10-Jun-11 22:18:28

Thank you hidden and 25going - you've put my mind at rest and I'm glad the Propanolol worked for you and I will give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now