Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

.Chronic conditions

(5 Posts)
IntotheNittyGritty Fri 10-Jun-11 01:49:38

Can someone please explain what is meant when a condition is referred to as Chronic
Thank you

ReadyToDrink Fri 10-Jun-11 01:59:19

Long-term / on-going.

IntotheNittyGritty Fri 10-Jun-11 07:34:28

are chronic diseases curable, or is it just ongoing maintenance for the rest of your life?

ReadyToDrink Fri 10-Jun-11 13:12:10

I'm not a doctor, but I think it's usually a case of maintenance rather than cure - but not always. It depends what it is, I think. You'd be better off starting a more specific thread, I think. I hope you're okay.

magso Sat 11-Jun-11 13:57:38

The word chronic in medical terminology IIRC means persistant or longer term ( or something that has developed slowly). As opposed to acute - something that starts suddenly. It does not mean it is severe or incurable. Most chronic conditions are managed, some come and go naturally. Sometime the word is used with a symptom - a chronic cough is a longstanding one, rather than a short lived one. I hope that helps. ( I am not a medic)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now