Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So I buggered over and broke my arm today - does this mean 6 weeks in plaster??

(8 Posts)
StrangewaysHereICome Thu 09-Jun-11 21:27:15

I am officially a complete plonker, I tripped over the pushchair today and now have a colles fracture of my left wrist (and yes I am left handed confused). Trouble is I have a 3 month old baby who weighs 17lbs so it's just not convenient!! Off to the fracture clinic tomorrow, is it likely to be 6 weeks in plaster? Any tips on one handed baby care?

Bugger, I am a fool.

StrangewaysHereICome Thu 09-Jun-11 22:38:45

Anyone? - or am I the only one silly enough to do this with a young baby confused

pushmepullyou Thu 09-Jun-11 22:54:08

Oh no, poor you sad

No advice I'm afraid, doctor.net says 6 weeks, but google is never a reliable alternative to a qualified medical professional grin

Just wanted to say hello as I was on the March antenatal thread with you on and off and wondered how you were getting on? (fracture notwithstanding)

I tripped over the pushchair the other day too and buggered my knee and got massive bruises on my ribs. I was on the phone to work at the time and dropped my phone and it skidded under the car (I was in a car park) and people had to stop for me as I lay winded and confused in the road.

So no, you are definitely not the only one silly enough!!

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on

hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 23:00:27

not necessarily. dh broke both his arms mountain biking recently - no plaster on either of them. he was pretty useless for about a week but since then has been quite functional. hasn;t been moving furniture or doing diy but back to other houswehold duties. he even mowed teh lawn at the weekend

Icoulddoitbetter Thu 09-Jun-11 23:07:19

It may not end up in plaster but you'll definitely need it to be immobilised so using that arm is going to be out, I'm afraid, sorry! Hopefully your fingers will be free but you won't be able to take any weight through it.

A sling could be your friend, if it's one you can put one fairly easily (no long wraps etc)

Try and do things at a higher level, such as can you bathe her in the sink? Is she in a cot or a moses basket? Whatever you use make sure it's high enough so you can scoop her up with your right arm.

I've got a changing mat with straps (Rabbits, from Amazon) as I have a very wriggly child, but they are good for people who can only use one arm.

For feeding, boob or bottle, use a feeding cushion that you wrap around yourself (Mothercare, Argos) so your DD is rested on that at a decent level, then you only need one hand to hold the bottle / positon boob!

A rubber mat on your kitchen worksurface means that you can press down bottles / jars etc using your right hand to stabilise them before you undo / tighten up the lids.

Dressing her in clothes that have less poppers will be easier.

If I think of anything else I'll come back to you. Good luck smile.

StrangewaysHereICome Fri 10-Jun-11 21:34:28

Thanks for the advice - well it is in plaster, but may be for 4 weeks. It needs to be x-rayed again in a week to check it's still aligned. Crikey it's tricky getting by with one hand and a grumpy DH whose first attempt at bathing DS tonight was hysterical grin The not being able to drive is going to be a pain.

Goodness Hatwoman, I'm so glad I didn't break both arms. I hope your DH is better soon.

Hi there Pushme - sorry I have been so bad at keeping up with everyone on the March thread. Life with 3 children is a tad busy and I have barely been on MN. How are you, apart for your bruising in the car park? I think my tumble was a result of thinking about what I was going to do next rather than what I was doing at the time - lesson learned I need to slow down! How's your little one? Luke is doing great, he's such a laid back chap but is a bit of a lump, so not very easy to carry one handed. I'll track down the March PN thread and pop in smile.

Bluebell99 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:42:14

My 9 yr old dd broke both the bones in her forearm on 28th May. She had to have an operation to pin it back together on the 30th. She has to have it in plaster for another 2 weeks.

CMOTdibbler Fri 10-Jun-11 21:54:17

Its not so bad once you get used to it tbh (have been one handed for 10 months following an accident).

Things that help - a Limbo so you can have a bath/shower, a One touch tin opener, and its friend the jar opener, plus a silicone oven glove (much swearing ensued when I couldn't get my lunch out of the oven cos the oven glove didn't let me grip the dish one handed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now