Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any Dentists about ? I need some advice PLEASE!

(19 Posts)
HerRoyalNotness Thu 09-Jun-11 19:35:37

About 6 weeks ago I had 3 fillings done in my upper left teeth (all next to each other). I'd had no pain, but at my dentist here they take an xray as a first visit and see what problems are there. Afterwards the Dentist said he had to drill quite close to the nerve in my wisdom tooth so if I had any throbbing pain to call him back, and it would probably need a root canal or pulling. He put in white fillings.

So for the next 3 weeks I am in agony, living on painkillers, waking in the night, but not throbbing. However it got beyond a joke and I phoned the dentist. Explained to receptionist what was going on, pain, tylenol etc... and she said she wasn't concerned hmm, and with white fillings it can be sensitive for 2mths! As I'd had 3 next to each other at the same time, it would probably be painful. Dentist did not tell me this at the time. She told me to call back in a couple of weeks.

Now a couple of weeks later, I AM STILL IN PAIN. Still living on painkillers, still waking in the night with it. Before, the pain was like a vice on my tooth, which I could understand, now it has changed to a burning pain. I try to concentrate on it to see if it's throbbing, but it's hard to tell.

So I guess my questions are:

If it is a root canal job, would it be a definite throbbing pain that painkillers won't help with? (right now after about 20mins taking tylenol xtra, it goes). (we don't have dental insurance and a friend here spent $3.5k per root canal a couple of years ago, which does not excite me.

Do I persevere for another couple of weeks and see how I get on?

Do I call the receptionist back and cry down the phone so that she will let me talk to/book an appointment with the Dentist?

I have 2 small children, and can not be doing with waking nightly for an hour or so because of my stupid tooth pain!

Sorry it's so long

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Jun-11 19:41:37

if you;re paying for treatment then you shouldn't have to beg to be given an appt
just ring them and ask for one.

personally i'd have it pulled!

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Jun-11 19:42:44

oh and, merely as someone with b ad teeth, not a dentist, I can say with some degree of certainty that this is NOT normal.

sensitivity... yes! this amount of pain? certainly not, and definitely not for this long

HerRoyalNotness Thu 09-Jun-11 19:51:10

Oh bum, yep if it is the wisdom tooth, I'll have it pulled out, will be about $600. Which is annoying as the dentist advised having it pulled along with the bottom two last November, but when I went to the oral surgeon she said to leave it in. Not looking forward to going through all that again.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoDuck Thu 09-Jun-11 19:54:06

My only dental qualification is that my dad is one but I feel fairly safe in assuring that that level of pain is NOT normal. Sensitivity is a little twinge when you eat/brush/drink etc. Waking up in the night is extreme pain and needs to be dealt with. Good luck

OpusProSerenus Thu 09-Jun-11 19:57:20

I had dreadful toothache from a cracked tooth some years back and would describe the pain as shooting or burning. I may be wrong (not a dentist) but always thought throbbing was only if you got infection in it. Anyway whatever you have it is not normal.

I am shocked the receptionist was happy to leave you in such pain. I had some poor experiences and so changed dentist, my new dentist would never leave anyone in pain.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:01:16

Am a dental receptionist..a little pain/sensitivity for 2 months can be normal but agony waking you at night isn't..we would see you straight away..I'd phone back and mention painkillers, agony and night waking, if she still wont book you in ask to speak to the dentist

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:01:49

..who will talk to you then book you in IME wink

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:02:24

Or just say 'throbbing pain' maybe that is their magic word which will get you an appt,

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:05:33

Also tell them its getting worse, pain after fillings should be getting better nit worse, if getting worse that is a red flag

HerRoyalNotness Thu 09-Jun-11 20:58:11

Thanks all, I've spoken to her again and insisted on an appt. She first said, oh are you booking in for your next filling (need one more done). Erm NO!

I have appt for 11am tomorrow but have to meet my new boss at 10am, figured I could cut it short, and get there, but then realised I'm at the other end of town, so will never make it. Dentist is away next week, I'll have to suffer for another week at least grrrr. If I try to see someone else, they'll immediately charge me $300 for a new client appt with xrays etc... No clue what to do now.

dippywhentired Thu 09-Jun-11 21:10:04

This isn't normal sensitivity after a filling. If the decay was close to the nerve, it can get inflamed and this can be reversible/irreversible. When you have severe pain that is constant and waking you at night, this is irreversible pulpitis (inflammation of the nerve) and the options are extraction or root canal. Personally, I wouldn't bother root-filling a wisdom tooth. Am shocked you have been fobbed off like this. Also, the receptionist is not a dentist so it's not up to her to say whether or not she's concerned! I'd ring again and try and get another time tomorrow or speak to your new boss and see if you can rearrange that meeting. (PS am a dentist).

HerRoyalNotness Thu 09-Jun-11 21:15:06

Thanks Dippy. oh dear. right have managed to change to an emergency one in an hour. I'll have to get him to prescribe some better painkillers until I can get it pulled out. It's so demoralising being in pain like this. It'll be 2mths by the time the surgeon pulls it, plus the after pain of that. Hopefully it won't be as bad as my lowers which were impacted and one of which got the dry socket. Agony! I waited a week before getting that remedied too as I didn't know it wasn't normal, they thought I was mad.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:17:03

Agreed..I would never say I was concerned or otherwise, I'd always say I was not a dentist and would speak to the dentist.,or book an appointment

HerRoyalNotness Thu 09-Jun-11 21:22:54

I did find it strange at the time, and was inisisting about the pain I was in. I'll be seriously po'd if they try to charge me for the appt today.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:23:39

She doesn't sound like an evil receptionist though, just a bit crap

HerRoyalNotness Thu 09-Jun-11 21:27:06

oh no, she is very pleasant, I just think here (quebec), there is such a shortage of medical professionals overall, that they try to weed out the timewasters.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 13-Jun-11 19:41:23

Update: So I have a bad infection as expected by some o fyou. On Anti-bs and stronger painkillers which is playing havoc with my gut. Pulling the tooth on Wednesday, thank goodness! Looking forward to a good nights sleep!!

Thanks all

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoDuck Tue 14-Jun-11 07:11:52

Glad you got it sorted smile and I hope the pain is gone/going now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: