Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

You know when you have a peice of silver foil in your mouth & you get feedback/pain with a filling

(14 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 09-Jun-11 18:46:50

Is that normal?

& can you get it without the foil?

I had a filling this afternoon & I keep getting that flash pain

& I want it to go away

KatyMac Thu 09-Jun-11 19:01:59

owee!!

KatyMac Thu 09-Jun-11 20:56:31

No one else gets this?

I must be wierd

Haggisfish Thu 09-Jun-11 21:29:06

nah, I reckon it is nerve pain - you get it eating silver foil because a small electrical current passes between the foil and filling, causing slight stimulation to nerve. I'm sure it will settle down over the next few days - it#'s just the nerve has been irritated.

Bearinthebigwoohouse Thu 09-Jun-11 21:29:59

Yes, I do! Kit kats are awful for getting the foil off, especially if they are slightly warm.

KatyMac Thu 09-Jun-11 21:30:46

Oh I hope so; it seems when it touches another filling

You can get that with a new filling... give it a day or two and if it doesn't subside go back and they will file it downsmile I have had that... horrible feeling!

sarahtigh Sat 11-Jun-11 10:16:55

it will be because either the filling is a fraction of a mm too high we can detect easily 1/16 of a mm the other thing is if you have a filling on the tooth below/above it because they may be a very slight difference in makeup of amalgam you get a tiny tiny electric current should settle over weekend though ( it is worse if disimilar metals like silver filling and gold crwon) mostly happens when filling is deep and near nerve if does not settle in 4-7 days or gets worse ring dentist back, mostly nerve settles but if not may need root canal

KatyMac Sat 11-Jun-11 10:39:18

<gulp>

Thanks

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 20:45:08

Still very, very sore

sarahtigh Sun 12-Jun-11 22:50:27

ring dentist in morning if too high they will smooth a tiny bit off if it was too high the pain relief will be almost instant, bite together very very slowly if that tooth touches fractionally beofre the others that will be it so instead of all the force of your jaw closing being distributed around 14 teeth it is concentrated on 1; like the difference between a baby standing on your toe and a superheavyweight boxer

KatyMac Tue 14-Jun-11 20:35:48

I didn't have time yesterday & I woke up this morning & it had nearly gone

I must be super sensitive/delicate

sarahtigh Tue 14-Jun-11 21:03:57

if its nearly gone it is settling on its own so thats fine can quite safely be ignored however if it flares up again it means there is a problem with nerve and not that it is too high , that said like I said before most settle in 2-3 days and lots within a week so its been 5 days for you so should be ok

you are not super/sensitve it was probably just deep filling and less than 1 mm from nerve so temporarily upset

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 15:24:46

It's back, massive jaw ache & shooting pains

So I'll phone tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now