Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

First smear test tomorrow

(2 Posts)
flibbertigibbert Thu 09-Jun-11 11:28:03

I recently turned 25, so tomorrow I'm going for my first smear test. I'm a bit nervous. Can anyone give me any advice - should I take painkillers beforehand? How long does it last? My friend has invited me to zumba and drinks in the evening - will I be able to do this or does it cause pain afterwards?

spiderlight Thu 09-Jun-11 13:08:16

It only lasts a minute or so and it shouldn't hurt, apart from perhaps a momentary discomfort as the cells are taken. They use a sort of brush thing now, so it's really not painful at all in most cases. My only advice is to try to relax - the nurse will be very experienced and most are really kind and sensitive. You should be absolutely fine afterwards - some people have a tiny bit of spotting but I never have.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: