Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid/Weight Gain PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

(10 Posts)
mollymole Wed 08-Jun-11 20:54:19

after having my RAI i am now on thyroxine and am struggling with my weight
i go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week - do around 15K a week on the running machine at 6.0 - 6.5 quick walk - and light weights
i am careful with what I eat but can't shift any weight at all and have gone from size 10 to size 12 bottom and 14 top and am now at least a stone overweight (more like a stone and a half)
I have tried cutting carbs and I do not like dairy or drink more then 2/3 glasses of wine (1/2 a bottle ) of wine a week
I do not know what to do next (and I am qualified in strength & conditioning so do know what a healthy diet is) ANY IDEAS as to what to do or should I get advice from docs - (BP and heart rate are fine 129/70 @ 75)

mollymole Wed 08-Jun-11 20:54:56

forgot to say - thyroxine 75mcg per day

didldidi Wed 08-Jun-11 21:03:23

is your thyroid under control now then - or are myou still having your levels monitored?

mollymole Thu 09-Jun-11 11:17:01

have not had a blood test since last December

FoofffyShmoofffer Thu 09-Jun-11 13:35:07

75 mcg is a relatively low amount. I would have your blood levels checked again. It might not be quite doing its job properly yet iyswim.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 09-Jun-11 14:53:08

I would also get your blood tests done again asap by the GP. You may well have to have the thyroxine dosage adjusted again as a result.

perfumedlife Fri 10-Jun-11 00:06:42

75mcg might be just too low. I take 100mcg and that seems to keep everything stable, thryoid related at least! The fibromyalgia brings its own issues, in making any sustained exercise difficult. But you sound like you are doing all the right things. Are you having any other under active symptoms? Coldness, hairloss, pain?

mollymole Fri 10-Jun-11 13:57:26

thankyou for your replies - i will make an appointment for another blood test-

freelancegirl Sat 11-Jun-11 10:54:03

Hi Molly, I'm on 100mcg a day but I would say start doing heavy weights rather than light weights. I've managed to stay a size 10 (with the odd holiday glitch) for years now having initially put on three stone when my thyroid problem first kicked in with force. Heavy weights will help keep your metabolism revved and give you a lovely shape too. I have recently put on half a stone due to various outside factors but my shape is still really good and legs feel nice and toned. Hitting the gym properly again now and it is so amazing what a difference weight lifting makes. No, you won't bulk up. You will just get leaner. Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be to live with thyroid problems.

jjgirl Sat 11-Jun-11 11:52:12

since having my thyroid removed just over ten years ago i have never been able to regain my pre thyroid weight. i have tried a higher dose of thyroxine then armour thyroid and loads of everything suuggested but nothing has ever moved it even stupid calorie restrictions like 800cal a day did absolutely nothing.

yes i am just resigned to being fat for life now. i know i eat a very healthy diet and do a healthy amount of exercise. some things are just not ment to be.

nit trying to be glum, yes get another thyroid test and see if they can do a full thyroid test this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now