Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Big fat bloaty belly after eating bread: Is it just me????

(10 Posts)
pinkytheshrinky Wed 08-Jun-11 12:53:00

I have thought this is purely in my mind for ages - I hardly ever eat bread to be honest because we don't have much about (coeliac children). But lately it seems that every time I eat some bread my tummy bloats and I almost look pregnant!!!! Yesterday I had two small slices of wholemeal and today I am wrestling with a whale of a belly - it seems to be worse if it is wholemeal rather than white bread. And for the record pasta does horrible things to me which would be TMI for this time of day!

I wonder, is it just me?

olivo Wed 08-Jun-11 14:38:26

NO, it does it to me too, so I've stopped eating it, except for if we're out or whatever. Massively better, used to get bloating and pain and easily looked full term.........blush

pinkytheshrinky Wed 08-Jun-11 14:41:06

This did not happen when I was younger - not sure why or what it is all about. As i say don't eat much anyway just mesmerized by my mahoosive jelly belly!

moregranny Wed 08-Jun-11 18:14:16

Same here, look more pregnant than my daughter and shes due tomorrow, I have been tested for coealiac disease but that came back clear, had ct scan of abdo all clear !

pinkytheshrinky Wed 08-Jun-11 20:26:06

Well I absolutely know that I do not have coeliacs as because as I have 2 children with it I was tested as a matter of course. Just horrible feeling really watery and no idea why it is so much worse with wholemeal things than white - perhaps my body is now a temple and I have to treat it with respect..

Keziahhopes Thu 09-Jun-11 00:59:42

Hi - the coeliac uk had an article recently about how processed bread we buy (I am coeliac) is such that many people who are not coeliac react to it, whereas artisan type bread people are ok with.

Vi8 Thu 09-Jun-11 18:39:48

That happens to me when I eat "industrial" bread, eg Hovis. They add something to the bread that really upsets my whole system. Now I only eat quality bread, my favourite is Cranks wholemeal bread, Vogel is good too. Basically, something natural, they are more expensive but there is no comparison.

eurochick Thu 09-Jun-11 21:49:39

Both me and my Dad get this. My parents got a breadmaker and it stopped. I did the same and it stopped. I don't think it's the bread, I think it's all the crap they put it in it that's the problem. And that seems to be backed up by the articles in the press this week about "industrial" bread.

Poshbaggirl Thu 09-Jun-11 21:54:36

Me too. Drives me mad. Intetesting that breadmaker bread is ok, must dust it down and make some. smile

eurochick Thu 09-Jun-11 21:57:07

I use organic flour, so there are no additives at all in there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: