Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

TMI - periods

(9 Posts)
RoyalWelsh Tue 07-Jun-11 20:51:28

I am cringing as I am writing this... but please give me your advice/opinion...

My periods are erratic to say the least, they are heavy and they often hurt a lot. All of this I understand is part and parcel of being female, but the problem is... they smell. I mean, quite horribly. I'm not sure if it is just me that can smell it because I am paranoid...but I am almost certain that rooms smell when I am in them. My job atm means I am sitting down for long periods of time in a small office. Now, I have got the window open but I don't think it is getting rid of the smell and I am here for 12/14 hours at a time for the time being.

Please help blush blush

whomovedmychocolate Tue 07-Jun-11 21:41:30

What sort of smell? Meaty? Fishy?

Perhaps you have a mild infection? It's not that unusual. Just go to the GP and get checked out.

Plus, please don't put up with painful periods, they are treatable, it's not just 'part and parcel'. If nothing else they can be made lighter and less painful. smile

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 07-Jun-11 21:43:14

Mine seem to smell too, but I can only smell it when I use towels, and only when I am in the bathroom.

That said I don't find it an offensive smell - just distinctive.

RoyalWelsh Tue 07-Jun-11 23:26:26

I would say more meaty than fishy. It's definitely a 'full bodied' smell. blush I don't think it is an infection, it's been this way since they first started I think.

I only wear towels, I can't bring myself to use tampons or mooncups, I suppose that's not going to help the situation is it. Maybe I just have a manky womb full of decaying sludge like blood.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 08-Jun-11 07:35:57


Would also concur with whomovedmychocolate; don't put up with heavy and irregular periods and see a gynae. It is not part and parcel of being female; periods should not be exceedingly painful. GP needs to refer you as these types of problems are outside their remit.

I have had painful periods for years and got fobbed off in ignorance. I was diagnosed with endometriosis subsequently; that is why I was in pain. If your menstrual flow is very sludgy this can also be indicative of endometriosis; infact old brown blood can be one of its many indicators.

The irregularity of periods is more often than not caused by hormonal imbalances. In this respect polycystic ovarian syndrome should be looked for as should be thyroid problems. Both can be picked up via blood tests.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost, please seek medical help for this problem. Do keep us posted.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Jun-11 08:09:21

The other thing is: your period problems are probably a symptom of something which is probably making your life hell in other respects. I was diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS and told that this was why I found it difficult to lose weight, was spotty, hairy, knackered, grumpy, pretty much all the stuff which made my life for two weeks a month complete hell. And yes there are drugs which help. But you have to push for it. Don't go to the GP and take NO for an answer, ask for a referral and make sure you take a diary of your symptoms. Really, seriously, in this day and age, no-one should say 'ah it's just the curse, can't do a thing'. smile

RoyalWelsh Wed 08-Jun-11 09:33:12

So much of what you have said rings true, I find it very hard to lose weight (although that could very well be because I am lazy) but I am always tired and find it very hard to keep a hold of my mood the week during and the week before.

I think I will book an appointment, but I am used to being fobbed off by them which has knocked my confidence in going a bit, because I do feel very ,uch like I am wasting my time!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 08-Jun-11 10:14:49

You certainly should have blood tests done as a matter of course re possible thyroid gland problems and PCOS. There is a reason for this.

Do not allow yourself to be fobbed off any longer; if the GP remains unhelpful I would change GP practice.

You will need to be persistant in order to get answers.

Let us know how you get on.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Jun-11 10:28:12

Why not try going to the family planning unit instead of your GP - they will be entirely unable to help you but will refer you on the gynaecologist! It's a way of going round an unhelpful GP if in all other respects you are quite happy to stick with them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: