Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Snoring - is there anything that can help?

(9 Posts)
LovelyDaffs Mon 06-Jun-11 22:16:14

dh snores, if he's had a few drinks, is tired, stressed etc he snores very very loudly. Most nights I go to bed listening to the radio through headphones which doesn't block it out, but helps to distract.

He has agreed to go to the Dr, but keeps saying the Dr will just tell him to lose weight (which he is trying to do). Can a Dr do anything? Has anyone got any snoring success stories?

Bohica Mon 06-Jun-11 22:17:18

A pillow over his face & a knee in his nads if that fails works wonders in this house.

CMOTdibbler Tue 07-Jun-11 08:09:57

He needs an investigation to see why he snores - losing weight sometimes helps, but some causes of snoring stop you losing weight so just telling a severe snorer to lose weight isn't helpful.

My dh snored terribly (people would come and kick our tent and swear in the night if we camped, bang on the wall in hotels etc), and when he eventually went to the gp he got a sleep study which showed he stopped breathing 85 times an hour, sending his blood pressure sky high in the night, and it would have reduced his life considerably. He now has a cpap machine in the night and there is silence in our room (his machine makes less noise than the room fan), and he breathes all night

bacon Tue 07-Jun-11 20:49:22

Weight is a problem but I snore and its not down to weight. Mine started with my rhinitus started playing up. I'm a suffer with rhinitus and catharh.

Prob until his weight drops the doc can do nothing. There are snoring clinics out there - will cost. But you can get a private consultation for a small fee.

I wouldnt waste any money on strips, gels, air freshners etc.

There are some very good snoring websites so you can see what type of snorer he is - ie whether its due to mouth relaxation, blocked sinuses, tounge etc.

Think mine is hormonal aswell as when I was pregnant is was considerably worse but hasnt gone back to normal since - not a problem for yr husband.

Its very depressing and not to be laughed about.

2cats2many Tue 07-Jun-11 20:54:20

Very, very good earplugs.

The [Www.snorestore.co.Uk Snorestore] has some really good ones.

2cats2many Tue 07-Jun-11 20:55:42

I'm so rubbish at links....

ItsyBitsyTeenyWeenyLilBabba Tue 07-Jun-11 20:56:32

One of the reasons my relationship broke down with my exDP was because of his snoring. He's finally been to the doctors about it and he was stopping breathing 54 times an hour at one point. They removed his tonsils and adenoids which has apparently improved things considerably. He couldn't get on with the cpap machine, so it's a good thing really.

But yeah, losing weight, sleeping on his side and avoiding drinking will reduce the snoring. In the end I slept with earplugs in a separate room.

LovelyDaffs Tue 07-Jun-11 21:09:44

That's what I wanted to hear ie. It's worth going to the gp. Did suggest no sex till a visit to the doctors (he snores mega loudly after) strangely he wasn't keen grin

MillyMollyMardy Wed 08-Jun-11 20:31:16

I'd definately encourage him to see his GP too.
I'm a dentist and special mouthguards can help with snoring but he would have to be seen by a sleep clinic first to rule out sleep apnoea as this can be very dangerous and providing something that helps with the symptoms without assessing the cause is not approprate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: