Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can you get just 1 wisdom tooth?

(19 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 06-Jun-11 19:07:07

or do all 4 arrive at once?

Is 43 too late for them to turn up?

Maybe it's an enormous ulcer?

CliffTumble Mon 06-Jun-11 19:09:10

No you can have just one. And they can come at any age.

KatyMac Mon 06-Jun-11 19:10:07

My gum feels a bit flappy & horrendously sore

Oh poo sad

CliffTumble Mon 06-Jun-11 19:12:27

Go to the dentists , it might be infected

KatyMac Mon 06-Jun-11 19:14:01

I have an appointment on Thursday for the large hole in a back tooth on the opposite side

The only good side about back pain is that you don't notice toothache so much

CliffTumble Mon 06-Jun-11 19:16:24

Use mouthwash, it can stop the infection, and bonjela is very effective.

KatyMac Mon 06-Jun-11 19:17:37

Thanks

I will make it to Thursday fingers crossed

fiodyl Mon 06-Jun-11 19:25:38

go and get it checked at dentist asap!

I went with possible wisdom tooth pain in april- got given antibiotics and booked in to have it removed in july.

Last week I was admitted to hospital for an emergency op to remove the wisdom tooth plus 2 others and drain the infection which had spread around my face and neck. Still in loads of pain.

I was probably just unlucky and this won't happen to you but please get it checked out and don't put up with the pain.

PrinceHumperdink Mon 06-Jun-11 19:27:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Mon 06-Jun-11 19:27:31

Ouch fiodyl - I hope everything's OK now

I promise I will show the dentist on Thursday (not that he could miss seeing the large mass of red on my gum wink)

MegGriffin Mon 06-Jun-11 21:59:05

I have only got one and that is only partially erupted and i'm 41. X rays show the other 3 just did not develop. Good luck for Thursday!

Meglet Mon 06-Jun-11 22:01:13

Wisdom teeth should be genetically bred out of future generations. Bastard things.

Are our mouths too small for them these days?

drivingmisscrazy Mon 06-Jun-11 22:05:01

I'm 45 and only have 3...

Spagbolagain Mon 06-Jun-11 22:09:00

I just have 1, was sore as came through but no problems since.
DH says I am a quarter as wise as him, who has 4.

JenniL1977 Mon 06-Jun-11 22:09:04

I only have 26 teeth - I just don't have two of my back teeth or any wisdom teeth. I like to think it's because I'm more highly evolved than most smile

DownyEmerald Mon 06-Jun-11 22:16:20

I've had 5! They came through young - when I was 16/17, and then a few years ago another one came at the back. Dentist said normal hmm

KatyMac Thu 09-Jun-11 07:04:31

I think it must have been an ulcer - all the swelling has gone down

But I'm still seeing the dentist about the hole in my other tooth so I'll mention it

throckenholt Thu 09-Jun-11 08:02:00

I am 44 - I had two top ones from about late 20s until last year or so when they were removed. In the last few years I have begun to feel one of the lower ones - but it is at jaw level and only half the surface.

So no - I don't think it is too late !

My brother got all 4 of his one night when he was 19 - he says that was the night he discovered whiskey !

Glad yours is better now.

KatyMac Thu 09-Jun-11 18:09:21

Definitely no wisdom teeth; the dentist laughed & said no way

& a whacking great filling, ouch I hurt sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: