Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ganglion..........help!!

(19 Posts)
triplets Sun 05-Jun-11 22:20:12

Had a bony small bump on my finger for the last 3/4 weeks, came and went and didn`t bother me. Today its been incredibly painful, gooled and think its a ganglion, sounds awful, makes me feel old. I know there is an old wives tale about banging them with a book, can`t face the pain! Will go to the docs if it doesn`r feel better tomorrow! Just wondered if any of you had experience of this?

SaltNSauce Sun 05-Jun-11 22:38:31

Had one years ago on inside of hand at joint with middle finger. Doctor at hospital sucked stuff out and all well.
Have something I think is one now on thumb joint. Was a bit sore but has deflated slightly and not sore at all.
Apparently do not bang with a book.
Go to docs.

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 22:41:23

A colleague had one, and another colleague tried bashing it with a heavy book.

Result: badly bruised ganglion.

I'd recommend a visit to the doctor.

IntotheNittyGritty Mon 06-Jun-11 06:36:24

banging on it is an old wifes tale and apparantly doesnt work.

i had therapy on mine, they stuck needles in, but i had to pay everytime I went so gave up. the ganglion went away on its own in the end

see your doctor and see waht he/she says

TanteRose Mon 06-Jun-11 06:53:25

I've had them on my wrists - they went away on their own...

FlubbaBubba Mon 06-Jun-11 06:53:58

I get one on my wrist from time to time, but it disperses (?) or something from time to time, but I've also got a permanent one between my collar bone and shoulder bone. They could cut it out but it's neither unsightly (though huge blush) nor uncomfortable.

If it's hurting you, I'd go to the docs and see if they can syringe the stuff out.

iscream Mon 06-Jun-11 07:16:55

I've been (occasionally) getting those since I was in my early 20's. I found I had them about 2 years each time, and they did go away eventually. Best to see your doctor. I had tendonitis in my thumb, with one at the base of my thumb, a couple of year ago.

triplets Mon 06-Jun-11 21:55:58

Gosh lots of them round! Well I phoned the docs at 8am and was told there was not a single appt until next Mon, we have 6 docs in the practise! She told me to phone backat 1pm to see if the docs had released any appts for later on in the day. Phoned at 4 mins past 1pm and was told there were 5 appts and they have all gone. So, phone again at 8am tomorrow!! If its as uncomfortable I shall go to our local minor injuries unit at our little hospital, just want rid of it! Thanks everyone.

triplets Wed 08-Jun-11 06:35:25

Well, went to local hosp as the soreness got worse, they wouldn`t do anything insisted I went to gp. Explained I could not get an appt until next week, so they phoned and said I had got to be seen. Went three hours later, doc took a very casual look, hardly touched the finger, said she hadn`t a clue, didn`t think it was a ganglion and has bunged me on antibiotics for a week! She said it might be a fooreign body in there from a cut, but as I have not cut it its not poss!

SaltNSauce Wed 08-Jun-11 10:21:58

Sounds a bit useless triplets. Just hope it now begins to feel better.

silverangel Wed 08-Jun-11 15:02:10

I had one on my wrist had it aspirated, first time it came back, second time it didnt. I'm pleased its gone it was ugly!

I had mine done privatley, I thnk they tend to cut them out on the NHS.

iscream Thu 09-Jun-11 07:28:35

Is it red or swollen around it? Or same colour as the rest of your hand?
Well, if you take the medication, and it is not an infection, it won't clear it up, so at least you will know what it is not.
Then again, you may be taking antibiotics for nothing.

triplets Thu 09-Jun-11 23:16:20

Hi, its gradually getting better, but still red and swollen around the finger tip. I just know I have never cut it! Feeling shattered, just got home from London, went y/day with a very close friend who had surgery today to remove a brain tumour. She was in theatre for just over 3 hours, and by 5pm was sitting up looking amazing! Just had a late call from her best friend to say they did not manage to remove the whole tumoursad Feel gutted for her.

iscream Fri 10-Jun-11 08:40:01

I just saw one being lanced on youtube, and now I want to know why my doctor has let me suffer with the pain for such long periods of time, when it looks so easy to lance.
Next time I get one, I want it lanced!
Look here, it isn't gross, I find it reassuring.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZ1E0sDKTI

ihearthuckabees Fri 10-Jun-11 19:05:58

Triplets - sorry to hear about your friend's tumour. Do you know what type it is? There are lots, and some are benign and some not. Not removing all of it doesn't sound good, but you never know.

Re the ganglion - I had one for years that gave me a lot of pain. I finally booked an appointment to get it surgically removed (I was living abroad at the time, so not on NHS), but it 'popped' the day before. It came back eventually, then I fell on my hand and it popped again, and so far, hasn't returned. (The fall was pretty painful though!)

triplets Fri 10-Jun-11 23:27:32

Its a menagioma?

ihearthuckabees Sat 11-Jun-11 15:01:52

If it's a meningioma, these are usually benign, although the fact that they couldn't get all of it may be a problem. (I am not a medic, but have read up on this, as my friend also has a brain tumour, although not one of the benign ones sad)

triplets Sun 12-Jun-11 16:08:14

I have another firend who has a malignant one too, she is being monitored. Also my best friend has several haemangiomas!!

crazycarol Sat 18-Jun-11 22:40:41

I had a ganglion on the inside of my wrist for several years, it didn't really bother me that much. On one occasion my gp popped it by putting pressure on it with 2 thumbs. But it came back. I was then referred to the hospital and I had it drained by putting a needle in it. I was told it might come back, but it never has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now