Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Rosacea sufferers - metronizadole question

(7 Posts)
MegBusset Sat 04-Jun-11 22:46:01

I've just been prescribed metronizadole gel (Metrogel) for my rosacea (I've been on oral ABs for six months but they made my colitis flare up sad). However, reading the leaflet it says not to be exposed to strong sunlight while using the gel.

I have two preschool DC and spend half the day outdoors (esp in summer) so avoiding the sun just isn't going to be possible. Even if I buy a big hat it won't keep my whole face shady! So I'm wondering if anyone knows why you have to avoid sun, what happens if you don't? Can I just use sunblock as well as the cream?

MegBusset Sun 05-Jun-11 16:06:33

Bump smile

Bearcat Sun 05-Jun-11 17:34:14

Meg
Have been using this gel for years now.
I only put some on at night before going to bed s recommended by the consultant who first prescribed it. A tube lasts me more than 6 months.
Not sure bout he sun bit, but know that if I go on holiday and will be sunbathing, I tend to use about factor 35 or higher as I do not want to risk my face being any more rosey.

MegBusset Mon 06-Jun-11 09:35:20

Thanks Bearcat, so you don't find the sun a problem generally then? Do you find the gel effective?

RedwingWinter Mon 06-Jun-11 20:33:09

You can use sunblock as well as the metrogel. You should use sun protection every day because it will make your skin much more likely to burn.

Stropperella Mon 06-Jun-11 20:38:01

I have used metrogel for about 8 or 9 years now and use sunblock over it all year round. Seems to work fine. Getting into the habit of wearing a hat is also good, though.

Bearcat Tue 07-Jun-11 07:41:52

Gel is definately effective.
Also my clinique anti redness foundation (brilliant) which I wear everyday has a SPF 15.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: