Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Incontinence and double Incontinent thread

(10 Posts)
TheHumanCatapult Fri 03-Jun-11 22:24:46

Ok a serious side to my comments on another thread.

Am just wondering if there are other people who suffer who are worried about suffering and how it affects theri lives .and that means anyone with Urinary incontinence or with bowel incontinence

Yes it is scarey , yes it is embarrsing and yes it is upsetting .

But there are lots of thinsg that can be done for some it is excersise or corrective surgery .For others it may mean wearing pads and for others it may be learning to self cath .

I myself am doubly permant incontinent due to a spinal injury .But thread is for everyone no matter what sort of incontinence or what has caused it and be it temporary or not

If it is talked about more , people will not feel like they are so alone and wondering if it is just them

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 03-Jun-11 22:29:15

I was incontinent after a 3rd degree tear. It was hard to take and just another problem to manage. It contributed considerabley to my pnd. I have recovered now but I do worry about it being a problem again later in life as the pelvic floor was so damaged. How do you cope THC?

TheHumanCatapult Fri 03-Jun-11 22:39:01

Ok for my Urinary incontinence on the practical side I have learnt to self cath 4-5 times a day as my bladder does not empty as have no sensation in it and I also use pads a swell not the first sort wa soffere dby the nhs as for me they looked like nappies and at 37 my nappy days were well and truley passed .
People need to know there are lots of stykes and absorbciens and need to make sure they get a referal to a incontinence nurse

.For my bowels I have a program where i use enemas every other day which means it lessons the risk of a accident .

I also carry a change of clothes and wipes just in case I have a acccident as well as hand gel and a bag for any dirty clothes .

When I was first told I cried a lot it was hard to find others that suffered with it as incontinence is not often talked about .Even though many more people(both men and women ) live day to day with it in differnt forms .

TheHumanCatapult Fri 03-Jun-11 22:40:46

and sorry for my spellingblush
.Have sore arms from being out

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 03-Jun-11 22:44:11

When I went to my GP she told me that it is a big problem for women in their late 30s and I was surprised tbh.

Sounds like you have a good management if your prob. Must be hard tho.

TheHumanCatapult Fri 03-Jun-11 22:49:55

Broken
you would be suprised if you saw me you would not even notice it I would bet .I wear slim jeans or fitted trousers

It is the fear of someone else notcing it that is the worse thing for most people and you are right is is far more common but as no one talks about it .People do not realise .
While im not advocating shouting it out in shops .I do think it should be less of a taboo subject and woman and men should be given help and advice and where to turn to and hopefully this thread may well give people somewhere to talk about it and share their worries and fears as well as sharing practical tips

TheHumanCatapult Fri 03-Jun-11 22:59:42

Broken

Was you offered any help and advice by your Dr or a refeal to a incontinence nurse ?.When you suffered from it .

Do you think it would have helped you to have talked to another person who suffered with it rather than just a proffesional?

poppyknot Sat 04-Jun-11 21:04:54

Just wanted to post support THC. Although I have never had an 'accident' I live in fear that one day....
I have MS and incontinence is one thing that is mentioned as a possibility. It is not so much that i fear at the moment but the fact that with severe mobility probems (I can walk but very slowly and with a stick) I sometimes feel there is a possiblity I will not make it to the loo. The MS means that sometimes you get a signal that you have to go NOW. This is fine(ish) in the house but when out can be horrible. I awalys make sure I know where the loos are but even so they might be far away. I have always made it (DH is very understanding and knows how to get me to where I need to go). I will often take spare pants and a nappy sack.......
With the MS, people know I can't get around but I think most don't realise about the incontinence. As you say it's the tabooness (?) of it. Being able to talk about the fear as well as practicalies would be good. I am sure some would have some good stratagies (like you have).

TheHumanCatapult Mon 06-Jun-11 13:18:44

Hi poppyknot

You are right , people are not comfortable about talking or reading about it .As the dissaperance of the post does say it all .Yet i know there are more than us on her ethat live with it or the fear of it

TheHumanCatapult Tue 07-Jun-11 13:35:06

Bumping for last time just in case anyone is looking for support etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now