Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Marvelon/Gedarel and depression? So soon?

(6 Posts)
MrsMeow Fri 03-Jun-11 12:14:20

I started taking Gedarel the other day (Dr prescribed Marvelon but they can't get hold of it apparently, so the pharmacist gave Gedarel instead as it has the same ingredients) I've taken 3 pills so far and since yesterday have been feeling so low and on the verge of tears all the time. I'm almost certain it's due to the pill - although I've taken others over the years and not had this reaction, not as quickly anyway.

I've phoned my surgery and I'm waiting for someone to call back but thought I'd post while I'm waiting. Is it worth perservering with? The thought of being like this for much longer scares me stiff, but I could be fine tomorrow!

Thanks.

MrsMeow Fri 03-Jun-11 15:44:15

I've spoken to the nurse and she's told me to keep taking it and made me an appointment with the doc on Monday morning - hopefully I'll have got used to it by then!

olivo Fri 03-Jun-11 21:40:04

I would persevere, but you have made me concerned - I was given Gedarel (i think!)instead of Mercillon - different levels to Marvellon. must check, havent noticed any difference, I wonder if they have 2 types?

hope it works out for you.

MrsMeow Mon 06-Jun-11 19:37:27

Thanks olivo, sorry for the late reply.

I had to stop taking it in the end, I couldn't face feeling so low any more. I saw the Dr this morning and she seems to think that I had a reaction to one of the hormones in it, most likely the progesterone. She's put me on a tri-phasic one that I've taken before.

How are you feeling? Hope yours is ok smile

olivo Mon 06-Jun-11 20:10:58

sorry to hear that Mrsmeow, glad you have got it sorted though. I have checked mine and it is the same dose as the mercillon that I was on, so should be ok.

hope it works out for you on this one.

MrsMeow Tue 07-Jun-11 20:44:14

Thanks olivo smile I'm 100% back to normal now, phew!

Thanks for your replies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: