Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Right you clever lot, please figure this out for me

(11 Posts)
shopaholicJen Thu 02-Jun-11 21:45:46

Hiya, this is all going to be far TMI, so I apologise in advance.

Fairly regularly (at least once a week) I get a gurgly, churny feeling in my stomach like I'm going to have an attack of diarrhoea. Normally I just clench (so sorry) and the feeling eventually passes. Every so often I do give in and go, and of course the inevitable happens. After this I feel alright, if a bit unsettled. I have no food allergies (that i know of), It often happens around 10/15 mins after eating but not all the time. I have started reducing my intake of milk, as it was happening fairly consistently after me drinking a lot of milk, but today it happened about 20 mins after eating a meal with no dairy in (in fact the only dairy I have had is a smallish bit of chocolate), with no apparent cause and I now feel fine. So...

What (if anything) is wrong with me?

TIA

doughnutty Thu 02-Jun-11 21:57:17

I have suffered with IBS on and off for years and it sounds a bit like that although on its own without any other IBS-y type things it maybe is some kind of intolerance.

The only way to figure that out is to keep a food diary.

Just to make it clear I am not an expert in any way though so maybe you should ask your GP (next time you're there for something else if it's not bothering you too much)

Sorry, not helpful really.

shopaholicJen Thu 02-Jun-11 22:05:20

Thank you very much for replying so quickly!

I did think of something like IBS but it really is only that one thing, so I'm fairly sure it's not.

With the food, it happens at different times so again not really any clear indicator... I don't really want to ask GP because it's a really small thing and I have no real other symptoms, and probably couldn't bring myself to say it as it sounds so pathetic!

I think it's just one of life's little mysteries, was just a general wonderment to see if anyone had anything similar smile

jjgirl Fri 03-Jun-11 12:49:07

something is wrong with yur bowel, you need to see a doctor to rule out anything horrible like bowel cancer. its rare but you dont want to find out to late.

i also think it might be diverticulitis.

NulliusInVerba Fri 03-Jun-11 16:30:33

IBS or an intolerance, IBS doesnt always carry all the symptoms, its possible to get an attack from a certain food group.

Cut out milk and bread, that usually helps. And try an reduce stress levels, stress is a major trigger.

You can get IBS treatments over the counter now, go to chemist and try them. If they dont help then a trip to the doctor is needed.

silverangel Fri 03-Jun-11 17:00:16

I have exactly the same - have done for years, went to the doctor and they took a sample, everything fine. They put it down to IBS but I have to say that I tghink that that is used as a general umbrella to group a number of symptoms under. When it happens to me I take diocalm if I feel I need it and am fine otherwise.

Just a pain in the arse (if you'll excuse the pun!).

shopaholicJen Fri 03-Jun-11 17:06:11

Haha silverangel smile

Thank you for all the replies, I'm thinking that it's just one of those things, and it is definitely triggered by stress!

belleshell Fri 03-Jun-11 17:29:56

IT SOUNDS VERY MUCH ibs BUT IF YOU HAVE GOT ALTERED BOWEL HABIT YOU REALLY SHOULD GET IT CHECKED OUT!!

shopaholicJen Fri 03-Jun-11 19:00:32

Okay, I'm sure that wasn't meant to all be in caps smile
Obviously if it was completely different for me I would get it checked out but as I said it happens fairly regularly, and in the past 6 months or so I have been far more stressed

EdithWeston Fri 03-Jun-11 19:04:19

Definitely go and have it checked by a doctor.

As well as the possibilities above it could giardiasis.

shopaholicJen Fri 03-Jun-11 20:31:21

Google is a terrible thing confused
But as I have been saying it's quite a long term thing (so not some sort of recent disease type thing), and had actually got better recently (been less stressed).. I do think it's down to stress, can't believe I hadn't thought of it before.. d'oh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now