Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Zig-Zag visual disturbance, can I safely assume "silent" migrane or should I go to doc?

(6 Posts)
galwaygal Thu 02-Jun-11 14:13:35

I have had a couple of episodes of visual disturbance, googling (yes I know I shouldn't!) it matches perfectly with ocular or silent migrane descriptions. Lasting around 30mins and gradually moving to one side.

So looking at the symptoms I am convinced that is what it is, but wondering if I should see GP or not. I am not particularly concerned by it at the moment as it is just a little annoying when it happens rather than worrying.

What do you think, should I be seeing GP anyway?

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 02-Jun-11 15:50:42

Won't hurt to see your GP. I have had this since I was 3 and I still get it along with a headache, sickness etc a full blown Migraine.

Earthdog Thu 02-Jun-11 21:52:28

I think you should if it keeps happening. I had one or two and didn't go to my GP but when I told the family planning place they took me off the combined pill immediately as that's contra-indicated if you have visual migraines.

jjgirl Fri 03-Jun-11 12:50:56

definately see your GP. do you know what might be triggering it?

mummytime Sat 04-Jun-11 07:10:22

Have you had your eyes tested recently?

galwaygal Sat 04-Jun-11 11:25:02

I had my eyes tested a few months back and all was well, did not need change of glasses or anything.

The two times when it occurred most noticably, I was using a computer at work. Moving into another area and stopping looking at the screen did nothing of course as it had already started. I thnk I had one more episode but it was not as bad at home. But could a computer screen trigger it I wonder?

Earthdog, thank you I did not know that the combined pill was contra-indicated with visual migraines. I am not on it currently but was considering going back on it later in the year, so now I know that might not be an option.

I think I will wait and see if it happens again, and if it does then make the trip to the gp then. Thank you all for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now