Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Weeing after having a catheter

(4 Posts)
zippytiptoes Thu 02-Jun-11 14:05:00

This is probably quite a strange question but....

I recently dislocated and badly fractured my ankle and had to spend a week in hospital during which time I had to use a catheter. This was put in by a student nurse who really struggled and had to have several attempts. After a couple of days it came out.

I have since returned home to downstairs living as I cannot weight bare for eight weeks (what a nightmare as I have a child with dislocated hips!) I have a hideous but necesary commode in the sitting room but I have noticed that when I go for a wee, I don't feel as though my bladder has fully emptied. I'm not sure if it's because I'm largely immobile as I have to sit with my leg up all day, or if it's because the commode is the size of a small casserole dish or if in fact some damage could have been done when the catheter was inserted/removed.

Ultimately, my bladder just doesn't feel like it fully empties. Does anyone have any insightful wee advice?

Thanks a lot

strawberryjelly Thu 02-Jun-11 16:58:34

How long is it since the catheter was removed?
it might have caused some inflammation or bruising but that should ease.

Marne Thu 02-Jun-11 17:00:24

Get it checked out, agree that it may have caused inflamation or even infection.

ThingOne Thu 02-Jun-11 21:41:54

Get it checked out asap. Yes, it's probably nothing, and you've too much time on your hands, but not worth risking.

If you're immobile can you get the district nurse to visit?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: