Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

STINKER of a BELLY BUTTON

(37 Posts)
Lorenz Thu 02-Jun-11 13:17:59

My fucking belly button stinks like shit and I don't know what's causing it. I shower every day and sometimes it doesn't happen for weeks but then it comes back. Sometimes it's so bad I can smell it through my top. Nobody else has ever mentioned it but it's making me paranoid.

It smells like rotten flesh but if I stick my finger in there, its all gooey inside.

Any ideaS?

cyb Thu 02-Jun-11 13:19:20

First - <applause > on your thread title

Second - URGH

Get the to a GP sounds like an infection- and why havent you gone before?

DirtyMartini Thu 02-Jun-11 13:20:46

Er, go to your GP. Why on earth haven't you? "All gooey inside" is obviously not how it should be.

schobe Thu 02-Jun-11 13:24:00

OMG

I don't remember reading anything so nauseating.

Go to docs fgs.

CMOTdibbler Thu 02-Jun-11 13:40:10

Its a fungal infection - try Hibiwash from the first aid section in Boots

CatPower Thu 02-Jun-11 13:43:28

For the love of all that is holy, go to your doctor.

You need to keep your belly button clean and dry. Sounds like it's getting all fusty and infected due to dampness after your shower. Make sure you dry it thoroughly after every shower, maybe even try to pat some talc in there to keep it dry too? First, though, see your doctor to get some cream and/or pills for the infection.

Seona1973 Thu 02-Jun-11 14:30:32

I have a very 'inney' belly button and it can sometimes get red and sore and a bit smelly. I used to use talc but it just goes all clumpy due to the dampness and then you have to pick it back out in lumps (tmi I know!). I now put sudocrem in it when it starts to get sore and that sorts it out pretty quickly

peachybums Fri 03-Jun-11 20:04:28

Yep i have same problem OP, at first i thought it was just sweat but like you i shower everyday. I make sure it is dry and put talc on and that seems to keep it at bay, i have an inny belly button too, maybe a link.....

shineoncrazydiam0nd Fri 03-Jun-11 21:59:02

Well done on a really revolting opening post.

gremlindolphin Fri 03-Jun-11 22:33:16

I've had this too, it is supposedly a fungal infection. Cleaning well and drying really well seem to be the key and I think savlon helps most things!

YouBrokeIt Sat 04-Jun-11 13:29:18

bolk

Mouseface Sat 04-Jun-11 13:42:00

<snort>

Great way to make MNers boak OP. grin

You need to keep the area inside your button clean and dry. Like another poster suggested, some sort of anti bacterial/fungal wash will help. Cotton buds are good for getting right in there to make sure it's dry.

Lorenz Sun 05-Jun-11 22:33:46

Well I could have reworded it slightly I suppose:

"Please help. My belly button is expelling a rather offensive odour and upon insertion of finger, I am shocked to discover it is rather moist inside. Whatever could this be?"

But then I thought "nah, it's mumsnet, they'll prefer the direct approach!" grin

Thanks for the advice, was a bit embarrassed to go to doctors tbh, wonder what would happen if I shove a cotton bud covered with some of the anti-bac alcohol gel in it??

jenniec79 Sun 05-Jun-11 22:45:37

Dry it off with a gentle cotton bud after shower. Don't shove! shock

Hibiscrub/chlorhexidine wash unlikely to do any harm and may help if bacterial, but sounds a bit like it might be fungus too, and won't cure that. I would prob start there though.

Stick to natural fibres for clothes, and make sure that's not where your jeans button's rubbing - as loads of people are allergic to the metal in them. If it does fall there, paint the back of the button with clear nail varnish.

Savlon might help a bit, but really would avoid alcohol gel.

If not settling with that, see gp as may need antifungal cream!

cybbo Sun 05-Jun-11 22:47:28

GO TO THE DOCTOR

they see peoples arseholes for Crying out loud, and worse

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 22:49:39

Another inney here. I've never had an infection like you describe, but I do have to take great care to keep belly button clean and dry.

FrottageCod Sun 05-Jun-11 23:03:19

I've had this a few times. Get some hot water, as hot as you can stand, put in loads of salt and clean it with cotton wool pads. Then pat dry and repeat in the morning. It will clear up no problem. Mine is inney too.

schroeder Mon 06-Jun-11 21:11:57

Surgical spirit on a cotton bud 2-3 times a day. Stings a bit but does the job. I think anti-bac gel will probably do the trick too.

gemmstone27 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:27:09

I'm sorry but all the negative comments like er isn't helpful yes perhaps it's a difficult subject for some but it happens to us all or something similar or worse. We should try and help each other so you haters go get a life! I have the same and get a smelly belly button (to me anyway and I shower daily like yourself hun) thanks for the nice people giving advice smile xx

trinity0097 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:33:28

Cotton bud to clean it out, especially after showering.

If it doesn't clear up then go to the doctor, but I wouldn't be rushing to make an appointment for you've not been cleaning it out previously.

DesertSky Sun 02-Apr-17 20:41:23

Roll-deodorant?

elizabethdraper Sun 02-Apr-17 20:43:48

Happens to me sometimes. I put some tea tree oil in it at night

apotheke Sun 02-Apr-17 20:44:29

Hopefully 6 years later the OPs belly button issue is resolved. If not I would recommend a great big dollop of canesten every night shock

MortalEnemy Sun 02-Apr-17 20:47:29

Did gemmstone actually do a search for 'smelly belly buttons' in order to revive a six year old thread???

Crumbs1 Sun 02-Apr-17 21:35:20

It's a fungal infection. You don't need a GP,visit. Soap and water wash. Dry with cotton bud or hair dryer. Canestan cream twice a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now