Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had an ACTH Test for Addison's or low cortisol levels?

(7 Posts)
RichTeaAreCrap Tue 31-May-11 20:52:34

I am having one in the morning because I have low cortisol levels so they are going to inject me with it and measure bloods. Has anyone had this done?

I've got a couple of questions. Are there any side effects from the test? How will I feel.

Also - my info letter hasn't arrived so I don't know if I am supposed to fast before it or not. Should I fast?

smudgethepuppydog Tue 31-May-11 21:07:09

My DCs have. DS had a short test over a few hours which showed adrenals were not working properly so he then went on to have a long synathen test done over three days, DD only had the short test, her adrenal function was borderline but acceptable. I don't recall them fasting but it was 10 years ago now so I might be wrong. No side effects though.

RichTeaAreCrap Tue 31-May-11 21:12:11

thanks smudge - mine is to be done over a couple of hours. Have had a look on the internet but get mixed messages - some say you should fast, some say don't. Maybe I should just to be on the safe side.

smudgethepuppydog Tue 31-May-11 21:27:36

I'm wracking my brains but I really can't remember if they fasted for the short test. I do remember DD having to stay on her bed, I think that was because of her asthma and allergies but it might be worth taking a book just in case.

RichTeaAreCrap Tue 31-May-11 21:42:36

Yes I'm planning on taking in something to read while I am there. I think I will fast anyway, I can always get something (a drink at least) there if I don't need to fast.

smudgethepuppydog Wed 01-Jun-11 10:58:41

How did it go today?

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 01-Jun-11 13:05:43

just back - it went fine. Thanks for asking. I did fast and they said I hadnt needed to so they gave me a cuppa...it was much needed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now