Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an ACTH Test for Addison's or low cortisol levels?

(7 Posts)
RichTeaAreCrap Tue 31-May-11 20:52:34

I am having one in the morning because I have low cortisol levels so they are going to inject me with it and measure bloods. Has anyone had this done?

I've got a couple of questions. Are there any side effects from the test? How will I feel.

Also - my info letter hasn't arrived so I don't know if I am supposed to fast before it or not. Should I fast?

smudgethepuppydog Tue 31-May-11 21:07:09

My DCs have. DS had a short test over a few hours which showed adrenals were not working properly so he then went on to have a long synathen test done over three days, DD only had the short test, her adrenal function was borderline but acceptable. I don't recall them fasting but it was 10 years ago now so I might be wrong. No side effects though.

RichTeaAreCrap Tue 31-May-11 21:12:11

thanks smudge - mine is to be done over a couple of hours. Have had a look on the internet but get mixed messages - some say you should fast, some say don't. Maybe I should just to be on the safe side.

smudgethepuppydog Tue 31-May-11 21:27:36

I'm wracking my brains but I really can't remember if they fasted for the short test. I do remember DD having to stay on her bed, I think that was because of her asthma and allergies but it might be worth taking a book just in case.

RichTeaAreCrap Tue 31-May-11 21:42:36

Yes I'm planning on taking in something to read while I am there. I think I will fast anyway, I can always get something (a drink at least) there if I don't need to fast.

smudgethepuppydog Wed 01-Jun-11 10:58:41

How did it go today?

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 01-Jun-11 13:05:43

just back - it went fine. Thanks for asking. I did fast and they said I hadnt needed to so they gave me a cuppa...it was much needed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: