Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quitting Smoking - What works for hardened addicts please?

(2 Posts)
HonestyBox Tue 31-May-11 18:39:12

I'm looking for advice. My friend in his 50s has been a smoker for 30 years or so. I get very worried and upset about the thought of losing him and I've nagged him, bought him books, sent him to the doctors, signed him up for online gadgets etc. It hasn't worked (when did nagging ever work?) and this time I want to do my research and find out what really works.

I know the impetus has to come from him ultimately but my fear is that he won't find it until he is ill. He has tried various things off his own back including patches, gum and one of those' steam' cigarettes. Can anyone let me in on what factors really helped them to give up. I'm all googled out, I'm asking partly for myself so that I can be reassured that I'm doing everything I can sad.

Madlizzy Tue 31-May-11 18:45:01

I was ready to do it and ultimately that's the crux. I was prescribed Champix by the smoking cessation nurse and I've been smoke free for almost 1 year and 3 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now