Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Does this sound like diabetes to you?

(15 Posts)
Coconutfeet Tue 31-May-11 18:13:06

Firstly I realise that you can't diagnose over the web but it would be useful to have your thoughts on this.

DP has been feeling under the weather for a while now. He's been keeping quiet about it insisting that he's fine but I finally managed to get him to tell me what the problem is. I've been aware for some time that he's been feeling very tired and low-energy and he's been finding it difficult to shift some weight around his middle despite cycling to work and eating healthily. But now he's got cramps in his legs and I've noticed that he'll drink lots of water at a time, like a couple of glasses rather than just sipping like I might do. He's also quite irritable but possibly this is because he's really worried about what's wrong with him and feels crap. From a bit of googling, I think this sounds like it could be diabetes.

We talked over the weekend and I know he's really worried that it's something awful. He's finally plucked up the courage to call the doctors but can't get an appointment until next Wednesday. I'm pretty sure that, even if there's something else wrong with him, he's got some issues with his blood sugar. So what could we do while we wait for the appointment? I'm assuming a low GI diet might be a good place to start? Anything else?

Thank you.

Coconutfeet Tue 31-May-11 18:21:30

And another thing, he's generally pretty itchy and has got a really horrible sore rash at the base of his back that he can't seem to shift. He's had various creams for it but nothing seems to help. It's also really itchy.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 31-May-11 18:24:19

It might be, DP was very tired before his diagnosis. Always completely worn out even though sleeping ok. Does he go to the loo a lot? During the night for example? Have lots of infections, wounds slow to heal?

Diabetic diet advice is limit sugar, especially drinks. Low GI is good. Lose weight, exercise more. But you say he's already struggling with that.

lulurose Tue 31-May-11 18:28:10

My dd 2 was dxd Type One as a baby. the symptoms are major thirst, weight loss, thrush, lethargy, frequent need to urinate. All of these were evident with dd. She was critical at diagnosis.

Not sure how type 2 presents, if he has gained alot of weight more likely to be type 2, type 1 is quite different in its cause. If I were him I'd buy a BG meter and check my own BG (or some pharmacys will do it). It needs to be a fasting BG, at least 2 hours after eating, if not a BG taken first thing in the morning. If it is over 7/8 mmols it could be a concern but you really need to get checked out, if he is sick at all get yourself to A and E incase its type One which can be critical if left undiagnosed. Yes a low GI, low sugar diet will help if Diabetes is discovered

Fingers crossed x

Coconutfeet Tue 31-May-11 18:29:46

Thanks Claire, He always gets up in the night once or twice to go to the loo. The itchy scab on his back hasn't healed at all for months so I would say yes, wounds are slow to heal. I think although we eat healthily we probably eat too much so I'm sure we could do more to help him lose weight.

Out of interest is your dp on medication or injections?

ClaireDeLoon Tue 31-May-11 19:14:29

He's controlling it very well through tablets, diet and exercise, was diagnosed last November and hasn't had a test showing sugar in urine for ages now. He was very depressed when it was diagnosed but copes well with it now. He doesn't need insulin jabs and doesn't as yet need to test blood himself, urine only.

I think we ate healthily too but amazing how little carbs you're meant to eat. Was recommended half plate of veg, quarter carbs and quarter protein every meal. Carbs should be complex where possible so granary or seeded bread, wholemeal pasta, potatoes in skins etc.

Type 1 often in younger people and type 2 in older. It's basically no insulin production v insulin that doesn't work well I think. So type 1 will always need insulin jabs, type 2 not necessarily.

Fingers crossed that whatever is wrong with him is swiftly diagnosed, then they can start to treat it. If it is diabetes then be reassured that DP feels so much better for having now got it under control, energy levels normal etc.

Coconutfeet Tue 31-May-11 19:24:06

Lulurose - He's decided to go to the walk-in clinic tomorrow to have a chat with them there while he's waiting for his GP appintment, which is a relief. Presumably if he goes first thing he shouldn't have breakfast in case they test him then.

Claire - good to hear your husband is managing it so well. If it is diabetes, like your dp, I think it will be difficult for him to accept it. I just really hope he starts to feel better soon.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 31-May-11 19:27:32

I would fast just in case. DP was initially tentatively diagnosed with a urine dip test at doctors when going for something seemingly unrelated but luckily it triggers GP to ask questions.

It is hard to accept because it means a lifelong change to lifestyle and that seems daunting at first but you sound very supportive and that's a massive plus.

lulurose Tue 31-May-11 19:39:01

Good idea, do let us know how it goes. Yes Type Ones have no insulin production whatsoever, it is an autoimmune condition, triggered in my daughters case by a virus. She will be on insulin for life, not a cure, life support sad and has to check her bloods at least 8 times a day. She wears a insulin pump.

With a healthy lifestyle and excercise and tablets I believe type Twos can live well and stay well controlled. Am hoping its not, but if it is there are some great support groups out there and Diabetes UK are a good source of info for T2.

Fingers crossed xxx

Coconutfeet Tue 31-May-11 20:58:37

Thanks both of you.

sad Lulurose, that must be very, very tough for all of you.

paddyclamp Tue 31-May-11 21:26:37

I'm another type 1...just wanted to say that i've had it since i was a kid but i lead a completely normal life (apart from taking insulin shots and blood tests) and it's never stopped me doing anything! Hopefully your DH will be fine...and if it's type 2 they dont always need insulin

lulurose Wed 01-Jun-11 08:57:00

Hi coconut, let us know how your dh gets on this morning.

Hi Paddyclamp, I remember chatting to you on here almost 4 years ago when dd was dxd....I agree, she mostly takes it all in her stride, its us that are affected more, care in school, finding babysitters, hospital admissions when she gets sick, letting her play at friends houses, night testing etc....

Could be worse though and her last a1c was 6.8 so we must be doing something right!!! Hope all well with you x

Coconutfeet Wed 01-Jun-11 10:00:41

Thanks for the reassurance Paddyclamp.

Well he went to the walk-in centre this morning and it was a complete waste of time. He fasted, then waited for an hour and 45 minutes only to be lectured by a crazy doctor about the fact that people worry too much these days and don't drink enough milk. hmm She didn't even do a urine test. So he's still got to wait until his appointment next week. I'm v pissed off on his behalf.

ClaireDeLoon Wed 01-Jun-11 10:50:16

sad I would send you a dip test but then you wouldn't have a guide to measure it against and even if he did come up positive he wouldn't be able to start sorting it until he sees the doc anyway.

Drink more milk? hmm How do they people end up with medical qualifications?

paddyclamp Wed 01-Jun-11 14:11:21

Crikey Coconutfeet what a waste of time!! Do you know anyone who has diabetes..maybe they will test his blood for you?

Hi Lulurose...6.8% is awesome! Glad you're all doing so well x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: